GM must be desparate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM must be desparate.

Thankfully, Studebaker didn't do this to raise capital, much to our relief!!

GM is selling off, one-by-one, piece-by-piece, memory-by-memory, the GM Heritage Collection. Finding out felt like I'd taken a punch to the gut.

Craig

[:0] But would the CASOs have paid anything for parts of the collection, Craig? (I can just see us haggling over trying to buy that last-from-South-Bend, Bordeaux Red 1964 Daytona hardtop for less than sticker in August 1964 or thereabouts![}]) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If Studebaker had done something like this the collection would not have brought enough $$$ to make a big difference. So IMHO they did the correct thing and gave it to the city of South Bend and we all now have it to enjoy and will have it into the future.[8D]
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

That is very sad IMHO. To dismantle an existing 'museum' so that it will never exist again is just horrible. They must be totally ignorant of the efforts of people now working on the SNM.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

If the upper management and board of directors of GM took bigger cuts in their salaries, bonuses & options and tried to survive on a million or two a year, perhaps the company wouldn't have to sell them off...

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

Many of the cars in the Heritage Collection were from private doners. I had the opportunity to babysit one of the pieces from the collection at the Philly Auto Show last Jan. GM brought the car at the request of the AACA for a place in the Concours of the Eastern US's exhibit. The neat piece was that the memmbers of the family that donated the car came by as a group for pictures and interviews with the media as it was a local Philly car originally. What was it? A very nice 1925 Buick Roadster. IMHO GM's Senior Management team are idiots and truly need to go.
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Just shows to go ya that history must give way to progress, even if it means that you have to erase it. (i noticed in that picture in the article 2 full size 66 chevys. I have one of those...although a four door...)

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint, and garaged for the winter...I can't wait til spring!!

Comment

So, Will GM and Chrysler crush all their parts after going under to avoid insurance/lawsuit trouble?

Scott Rodgers
                Los Angeles
                SDC Member since 1989
                '60 Lark HT
                '63 Wagonaire
                Scott Rodgers
                Los Angeles
                SDC Member since 1989
                \'60 Lark HT
                \'63 Wagonaire
                \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Here is the list

This Buick Blackhawk is at Barrett-Jackson

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. I see maybe 6 cars on that list that are actually nifty museum cars. I would probably walk right past the other 180 at any car show.

one millionth 1995 Saturn?
                    1989 Tracker Boom Box?
                    1991 Caprice Classic?

Come on [xx(]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Most of these I don't see as a loss to any collection.
                      I see five that are important and that I would like to own.
                      Did you notice the "Firedbird"? Is that a bit of parapraxis?

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

If Studebaker had done something like this the collection would not have brought enough $$$ to make a big difference.
                        I don't think GM's sale of its vintage vehicle collection will come anywhere close to what they've lost in the last quarter; even it was every last one of them they own auctioned off at Barrett-Jackson. Like an individual, a corporation that needs 'social assistance' can't have any extras assets in their name.

Craig

Comment

Ahhh yes, GM's famous(or infamous IMHO) Area 51's warehouses appear to be going on sale. The cars that never made it, the cars that were born and bred concepts, the one off's, and so on and so forth, that the general public never knew existed . And now these pieces that the general public never saw, except for places such as the Chicago Auto Show, will probably see them briefly, before being scattered to collections and museums across the country. Without getting into it to much, to me those large physical lots of "concept could have been's" are the physical epitomy of GM's problems. This is basically the whole reasoning why I pay attention to the import set. They have whole warehouses of " yeah it's a good idea but we'd rather nots" that are now being auctioned to collection and museums across the country. This is what I liked with Studebaker; even in the final days they were able to produce a vehicle to get the public's interest, even in the span of six months, and they didn't send the final concept to an undisclosed location because they didn't think it would make par.

Thank you for your time(kicks mike stand dropping mike back down)[)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                          [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Man that is brutal!
                            I believe it, but it is a sorrowful thing. The kind of money they will generate will do nothing to even dent the issue.

He was wrong about there being no "America's Car Museum". The ACM (LeMay - America's Car Museum) is here in Washington.

55 Commander Regal Coupe
                            XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                            KARR (Knightrider)
                            Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Comment

IMHO this is GM assuming the posture for the pols in DC to see that GM is doing EVERYTHING, even selling the family heirlooms, to try to get solvent. At a million bucks each the sale of this collection will make a small dent in their deficit...purely eyewash. Then again is this a condition set out by Congress before a bail out will be considered? Dunno.

Comment

Working...
                              X