Good news for an old car (and owner)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news for an old car (and owner)!

My 51 LC sat idle for over 30 years but now runs better the more I drive it and the harder I drive it.
    It used to run a little unevenly but it has recently been running smoother and pulling Harder.
    I last checked the compression 12 years ago when I acquired the car and it was in the 90psi range but it ran ok and didn’t smoke at all so I didn’t worry about there being a major problem.
    Yesterday I checked the compression and was very pleased that all cylinders were 120psi or better. I guess the rings are freeing up in their slots in the pistons. No need for a rebuild or valve job.

The other good news is that my DG-200 is no longer terribly incontinent.
    On the advice of my brother (who works on heavy equipment) I tried adding some transmission sealer in the ATF. I was planning to have it rebuilt so I thought, ‘what have I got to lose?’ After about a week of driving the leaks have reduced significantly and the shifts are smoother. This little bottle of magic may save the expense of a trans rebuild this winter! I will see how it goes when it sits for a few days. I expect there may still be some overflow as the TC drains into the trans.
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Good news and congratulations. It does take some time for sleeping cars to fully awaken. I tell my customers that driving their cars is the cheapest maintenance.

Comment

That is good news! It doesn’t do cars any good to sit. My Packard was making some terrible noises when I started it up and drove it out the garage.thus is after sitting for many years. Noises slowly went away as I drove it more.
      Never been fond of transmission sealer / conditioners. But have to say one made by Lucas worked on my sons 1985 Monte Carlo. It wouldn’t even move until I put that stuff in the transmission. Lasted until car went to the happy hunting ground .
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I worked at a transmission shop earlier in my career. They used a qt. of TransX in every overhaul. Always.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I'll add a "+" rating to the Lucas tranny additive. Put it in my 64' ragtop years ago and it behaved nicely for a few years / few thousand miles before complete rebuild. Tranny shop said no harm to unit once opened...

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
            I'll add a "+" rating to the Lucas tranny additive. Put it in my 64' ragtop years ago and it behaved nicely for a few years / few thousand miles before complete rebuild. Tranny shop said no harm to unit once opened...
            I wonder if it would help with a seeping PS control valve? And how much to use?
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              I worked at a transmission shop earlier in my career. They used a qt. of TransX in every overhaul. Always.
              I thought you had to flush that stuff out once the drips ended and replace the fluid.....
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I believe Lucas and TransX make a power steering additive. May be the same mixture just a smaller amount.
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Update: The transmission continues to hold with only a small amount of drips. The torque converter used to drain back into the transmission and overflow out of any orifice. The trans sealer I used was 'Blue Devil'.

I have been reading through my DG transmission repair manual and I may decide to rebuild only the rear assembly because the parking pawl doesn't engage sufficiently. Anybody done this before and have any tips on what I might find when I open it up?

Thanks,

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                  Jim Mann
                  Victoria, B.C.
                  Canada

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post

I thought you had to flush that stuff out once the drips ended and replace the fluid.....
                    The instructions on the "Blue Devil' bottle noted that you didn't need to change the fluid after it was sealed up.

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                    Jim Mann
                    Victoria, B.C.
                    Canada

Comment

Working...
                    X