Please help identify these locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help identify these locks

I bought these on Ebay and they supposed to be for a 50, but they don't match mine. Can anyone identify them?

Of course the Long Rod Lock is a Door Lock.
    If the other Lock fits the same Key, it is the Ignition Lock.
    BUT, they are Both Hurd Brand, so you need another Door Lock re-keyed to match to use them as a full 3 Pc. Set.

The OTHER issues are:
    The Ignition Switch has to be compatible with a Hurd Lock, not a Yale.
    The length of the Door Lock Rod will determine What Year & Model DOOR it fits.

These could be anywhere from a 1947 Commander to a '59 V8 Lark, as most Commanders and Eight Cylinder Cars used the Hurd Brand Locks with those very narrow Keys, like a Ford Merc. or Lincoln.

Do you know if the length of the Door Lock fits your '50 Champion?
    If so, that WOULD make them '47-'52 Commander.

Always remember when ordering Parts, to look them up in the Chassis or Body Parts Catalog for correct fit. All Studebaker's are not created equal!

Sixes, Eights, Champions, Commanders, Presidents and Body Styles MATTER !
    Hmmm, now Where have I heard that Word before, recently?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-20-2020, 03:51 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

And the '53 and up C/K bodies use a longer shaft door lock than the sedan bodies. Otherwise identical.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

That's some great info guys! Thanks

The keys do say Hurd on them. Here's a picture of the door lock length ( about 4.75 inches).

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200821_153148_resized.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1851897

Comment

If you have excess to one of your Door Locks or an empty hole in the Door, just compare the length as I mentioned in post #2.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

These locks won't work on my car, I figured I'd post a picture in case someone can help identify it. If I can't use it, maybe some one else can.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt N View Post
              These locks won't work on my car, I figured I'd post a picture in case someone can help identify it. If I can't use it, maybe some one else can.
              So Matt...where in NC are you? It could really benefit you to develop a relationship with fellow Studebaker Drivers Club members in your area. There are two SDC chapters in the state.
              If you are fortunate to find a knowledgeable member within reasonable distance, hopefully you could get some good mentoring regarding the vehicle and resources available to assist in getting the car roadworthy and presentable.

While the bullet nose cars are unique in style, their construction is pretty standard underneath the sheet metal. Paying the dues, getting Turning Wheels, and buying the shop, chassis, and body manuals, will expose you to vendor resources and information that takes much of the guess work out of the challenge to restore and maintain our Studebakers. Keep on plugging away and best wishes.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I live near High Point.

Comment

What do you want for them?

Bo
                  Bo

Comment

I don’t need them so I'd like to sell (just recoup some of my loss) to someone that needs them.

Comment

Working...
                    X