This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Question

I am new to the world of Studebakers but I'm doing my research though! I came across a table with production numbers for Larks and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what an "Econ-O-Miler 4dr" body Y1 is? Here's a link to the site: http://hem.bredband.net/b284654/project/1960_2.htm

Thanks for your input and help while trying to get an education.

Also, I'm in the Las Vegas area and (have yet to attend a local SDC meet but I have details) am looking for parts for my 1960 Lark. And I'm always interested in making connections with others in my area. Feel free to drop me an e-mail any time!

-Mark

The (Y1) is a heavy duty (fleet)4dr.sedan. It should not be shown as the "Econ-O-Miler" because that was advertised as the Taxicab version. In 1958 the Econ-O-Miler was built on the Scotsman body type. In 1960 it was on the long wheelbase chassis 113 inch (same length as wagon), stripped down plainer than the Deluxe (cheap model) but with things like heavy duty brake lining, V-8 brakes on the "6", V-8 model 44 axle on the "6", heavy duty seat material, thick foam padded seat, stainless steel bottom trim on door panels, H.D. Trans, H.D. Clutch, even a 3 speed manual floor shift option! This body type became the '61 Cruiser, a very special "Small Limousine" model Lark VIII with 289 c.i. option. The rear vent windows, and longer rear doors are the noticeable clue. Many heavy duty (fleet)sedans were sold to the U.S. Government for the "Inter-Agency Motorpool", when they were done with them, they went to the U.S. Post Office. Those were all 6 cyl. and the engines died early, not being as tough as a V-8. So they were "patched-up" as long as they could, then sold off very cheap and just about none are left.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The (Y1) is a heavy duty (fleet)4dr.sedan. It should not be shown as the "Econ-O-Miler" because that was advertised as the Taxicab version. In 1958 the Econ-O-Miler was built on the Scotsman body type. In 1960 it was on the long wheelbase chassis 113 inch (same length as wagon), stripped down plainer than the Deluxe (cheap model) but with things like heavy duty brake lining, V-8 brakes on the "6", V-8 model 44 axle on the "6", heavy duty seat material, thick foam padded seat, stainless steel bottom trim on door panels, H.D. Trans, H.D. Clutch, even a 3 speed manual floor shift option! This body type became the '61 Cruiser, a very special "Small Limousine" model Lark VIII with 289 c.i. option. The rear vent windows, and longer rear doors are the noticeable clue. Many heavy duty (fleet)sedans were sold to the U.S. Government for the "Inter-Agency Motorpool", when they were done with them, they went to the U.S. Post Office. Those were all 6 cyl. and the engines died early, not being as tough as a V-8. So they were "patched-up" as long as they could, then sold off very cheap and just about none are left.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the wonderful info!

Comment

Thanks for the wonderful info!

Comment

Were you the one looking for a front fender for your Lark?

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Were you the one looking for a front fender for your Lark?

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yeah, I am looking for both front fenders, among MANY other parts (mostly body). To be honest though, I'm not looking THAT hard at this time, but if I found something reasonable and within reach (either for shipping or near enough for a run to pick up) I would grab 'em up.

I know my best resource is always people with similar interests, those people being my local SDC Tumbleweeds members... I have yet to tap them as a resource though.

Also, EXCELLENT memory!!

Comment

Yeah, I am looking for both front fenders, among MANY other parts (mostly body). To be honest though, I'm not looking THAT hard at this time, but if I found something reasonable and within reach (either for shipping or near enough for a run to pick up) I would grab 'em up.

I know my best resource is always people with similar interests, those people being my local SDC Tumbleweeds members... I have yet to tap them as a resource though.

Also, EXCELLENT memory!!

Comment

Working...
                  X