The Pietro Frua Larks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pietro Frua Larks

Stumbled upon these beautiful versions of the 1960 Lark: a captive-export idea for the Italian market back by coach-builder Frua.

One wonders what these could have done to help S-P fight off the audacious Exner-penned Dodge Lancer, Ford Falcon, etc.

Quintessential Italian/French treatment of the time. Like a Lancia Flamina or Facel-Vega.

These have been written up a lot. I do not remember if it was on this SDC Forum or the Newsgroup that preceded it. In recent years, these cars were found and at least one has been saved.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Other than being a bit busy-looking up front, I think the designs are beautiful.
      According to studebaker-info.com, a gentleman in California purchased at least the four door to restore in 2004. Does anyone know what happened after that?
      Mike Davis
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Never heard of Pietro, but BOTH of the "Studebaker Italia Frua" ('60 Lark) Sedans are up here in the Northwest.

They were in my Storage, now the Canadian SDC Member owner has one over the Border.

Unfortunately, the pretty little 2 Door Hardtop was destroyed, and long gone years ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0966.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	1840343 Here it is in Sept. 2011 at the Bell's Studebaker Museum and Diner in Bellingham, WA

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1326.JPG
Views:	838
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1840347 Here is the other one.
        One is a Flathead 170 Six and the other a 259 V8, both 1960's with many Lark Parts.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-09-2020, 05:39 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What engine?
          sigpic

Comment

The C pillar on the sedan looks (at least to me) a bit like the C pillar on the '61 Lark HT. Note the wrap-around rear window. So, perhaps a bit of the Frua design was implemented on the 1961's.
            -Dwight

Comment

Here's a link to a 2006 thread on the Frua Larks including a reference to the TW article on them earlier...

Here's a few pictures I took of them in Feb 2005 when they were in a fellow SDC members warehouse in LA...

Name:	pats6 copy.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1840357

Name:	pats8 copy.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1840358

Name:	pats10 copy.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1840359

Name:	pats11 copy.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1840360

Name:	pats12 copy.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1840361

Name:	pats13 copy.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1840362
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I remember reading about this on the defunct Alt Auto site. Can't remember his name but thanks to the link by Dick it is Pat Dnrec. No matter what he posted or was doing, another member was always poking him in the eye. He also liked to poke John Pulos as well. He did not respond in kind. He did post that he had bought one of the cars and brought to California.

Bob Miles
                Last edited by 6hk71400; 06-09-2020, 07:13 PM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                  I remember reading about this on the defunct Alt Auto site. Can't remember his name but thanks to the link by Dick it is Pat Dnrec. No matter what he posted or was doing, another member was always poking him in the eye. He also liked to poke John Pulos as well. He did not respond in kind. He did post that he had bought one of the cars and brought to California.

Bob Miles
                  The Alt Autos forum was unmoderated and everybody poked everybody . It finally dried up and blew away. Pat Drnec is a friend and he is a good friend of John's. If there was any poking it was just teasing. Pat bought both remaining Frua Larks in Italy and imported them to the US.
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

The alt.autos.studebaker newsgroup is still out there...
                    For those that want do do some digging, here are the Frua Lark links.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.autos.studebaker/frua$20lark%7Csort:date

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt.autos.studebaker/vFgYw04WS2g/iJK3FZ5HEvEJ;context-place=searchin/alt.autos.studebaker/frua$20lark%7Csort:date

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The Frua Larks are in the capable care of someone with the passion and the drive to see one through to being restored to its former glory!
                      Evan Davis
                      Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Google Groups??? As Bad as Alt Auto!
                        Some Guy on there claims to have about one of every year (Giant List) AND Both Frua's???? ?

I don't THINK SO, I call BS!

"1950 Champion
                        1951 Starlight Coupe Custom
                        1953 Starlight Coupe
                        1954 Starlight Coupe R1/4-speed
                        1958 Silver Hawk
                        1960 Frua Italia Larks (2 - they're here!)
                        1962 Lark VI
                        1962 Lark Convertible
                        1962 Lark Daytona
                        1963 Avanti R2 R4324
                        1963 Lark Daytona
                        1963 Lark Cruiser
                        1963 GT Hawk
                        1963 Daytona Wagonaire
                        1964 Cruiser (Survivor)
                        1954 3R11
                        1956 2E7
                        1985 Jeep CJ-7
                        2005 MB SL55
                        2002 Ducati 996
                        2007 Ducati 1098
                        2002 Jeep Overland"
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-10-2020, 12:19 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I remember when Pat Drnec bought them over from Italy at least 15 years ago with the plans to restore them, but somehow that never happened. I went up to his warehouse when he first got them to take a first hand look. At least one car could be restored with a bunch of work, but I don't know about doing two of them as they are in rough shape. Bud

Comment

StudeRich, Pietro Frua was the designer of the Frua Larks. It is as legitimate to refer to them by his whole name as it is to say the "Raymond Loewy coupe."
                            Mike Davis
                            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              Google Groups??? As Bad as Alt Auto!
                              <snip>
                              Rich, That is just Google's accessing the old alt.autos.newsgroup.
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X