miles per tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miles per tank

hello all , i am going on a long trip in my 1953 commander , 232 v8 auto , how far could i go without refuelling , not many gas stations out this way , give me a rough idea , i drive at about 50mph , shocking roads in this part of the world , would 300 miles a tank be sensible , cheers from roger
    R.A.Jennings

I would drive 100 miles, fill up the tank and see how many liters it takes to fill it up - then you can judge how many miles using 57 liters would run (would not count on all 68 - that is pushing it to run dry...) Good luck.

Comment

When I was making road trips in Stella, then Leo, then Frosty, I would go 200 miles then stop for gas, pee and get a cup of coffee.
      Now days I can, hopefully, make it 75 to 100 miles before I have to pee. I'm 77 years old. Does that explain it?
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

There was discussion on this some years ago here on the forum: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....er-gas-mileage

Based on 18 mph which is probable due to road conditions, using 15 gallons would put you at 370 miles. Since the tank will hold 18 that is probably farther than I would want to go. Engine state of tune, condition of engine and transmission are factors as well as traction slippage on bad roads.

Just my opinion

Cheers

Bob Miles

Comment

First you have to know how many Miles or those "other things" YOUR Car gets per Gallon/Liter.
          Then knowing you can safely use15-16 gallons of the 18 you could figure it out.

The Transmission Type and Axle Ratio is the biggest de-terminator of MPG or KPL.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Jerry Forrester - LOL... Welcome to the Club...

Comment

Love that explanation Jerry .....you’ll never run out of gas
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Looks like we are discussing what I refer to as "Range"...and not just mpg. Of course, the two concepts are related, but a vehicle with great gas mileage but a very small gas tank capacity will not have a lot of range compared to a vehicle with less gas mileage and a much larger gas tank. For 18 years, I rode a 58HP (?) Honda V-twin motorcycle that had a 4-gallon tank. With reserve, I could make it approximately 130 miles on the interstate at 70 to 75 mph and a lot of anxiety before reaching a gas station. That bike had no fuel gauge, so I used the trip odometer to determine (estimate) fuel stops. Depending on traffic conditions, speeds, etc., that bike's fuel consumption could vary from 35 to 45 mpg. Just to keep from having to worry about fuel, I usually refueled at around 100-mile intervals. My friends with Harleys, especially the custom tiny tank versions, seemed to not be able to pass a gas pump without refilling.

The BMW motorcycle I now have gets 50mpg and has more than twice the HP over the Honda, a 7-gallon fuel tank, and will easily go over 300 miles on one tank. That's better range than most bladders.

For my Studebakers, six and eights, I have had had as wide a range as 14 to 28 mpg. Our older vintage vehicles will get a huge variation in mpg depending on how well the engine is tuned and how worn they are. All these vintage engines run on "compromised" settings. An engine tuned to run well at the altitude of Boone, N.C., will not perform the same cruising Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

If I were to take a long trip in a Studebaker, I would want to consider the mpg at it's worst and hope for the best. But, when planning the trip, if there is a portion of the trip that indicates the vehicle lacks the "Range" to reach the next fuel stop...you will need to carry a reserve supply. That involves safety issues. But, sometimes, we accept the risks and go.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Town & country driving here in rural Kentucky in two GTs and a 56J, I gas up about every 200-225 miles, and it usually takes 12-14 US gallons to refuel. I seldom use OD in any of the cars on rural roads, and mostly drive at 45-55 MPH. On the interstate I usually gas up around 250-300 miles, and about 13-15 gallons to refuel, at 70-75 MPH. I do not like to go below 1/4 tank, but have pushed it a few times back when I was younger.

If driving in remote areas where gas stations are scarce, as the OP describes, I'd probably carry an extra 5 gallons in the trunk.
                  Last edited by JoeHall; 06-04-2020, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                    When I was making road trips in Stella, then Leo, then Frosty, I would go 200 miles then stop for gas, pee and get a cup of coffee.
                    Now days I can, hopefully, make it 75 to 100 miles before I have to pee. I'm 77 years old. Does that explain it?
                    You have a prostate problem, not an age problem. Removal will increase capacity and reduce frequency to allow the former 200 mile jaunts, although you risk losing the short trips to the bedroom .

Comment

Originally posted by HOXXOH View Post

You have a prostate problem, not an age problem. Removal will increase capacity and reduce frequency to allow the former 200 mile jaunts, although you risk losing the short trips to the bedroom .
                      I know all that. But I'm not going to do anything about it.
                      Now let's get back to the miles per tank question.
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

If the C/K tank is supposed to be 18 gallons; how is it that even after running out of gas I've never been able to get more than 16 in any of them we've had ?
                        Does anyone remember actually putting 18 gallons in one?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                          If the C/K tank is supposed to be 18 gallons; how is it that even after running out of gas I've never been able to get more than 16 in any of them we've had ?
                          Does anyone remember actually putting 18 gallons in one?
                          It is 18 gallons, more than once I have put over 17 gallons in, back in the day. Just this morning I put 15.2 in the 56J, but that's pushing it farther than I like to nowadays.

Be aware, empty on the gauge means empty, unlike many modern cars that still have another few gallons left. My wife found that out back in he 90s, in the California desert. LOL

Comment

Hello again , i did the trip in my 1953 commander , refilled the gas tank every 200 miles , worked out i averaged about 25mpg there and back , thanks for all your advice , cheers
                            R.A.Jennings

Comment

Originally posted by studevic View Post
                              Hello again , i did the trip in my 1953 commander , refilled the gas tank every 200 miles , worked out i averaged about 25mpg there and back , thanks for all your advice , cheers
                              Congrats! At 25 MPG you should be able to go 300 miles and still have 6 gallons in the tank, would only need 12 gallons to refill. I could not get 25 MPG out of any of my Studes unless I pushed one off a cliff. LOL

Do you mean Imperial gallons?

Comment

Working...
                              X