No announcement yet.

Now it's official

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats Brad and keep us updated with your build plans to make it personal. Any info on the power plant and drivetrain? Did the PO make any changes?
    Cheers, Bill

Comment

Yes, congrats! l drove a friend's '56 GH with manual trans and Packard 352 for a few miles a while ago - and similar paint choice. An impressive machine for sure - but you know that already.

The first post-war car that fits the muscle car definition!

You'll have lots of fun! (And l meant that in a good way.) Please keep those pictures coming!
      Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
      61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
      Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
      Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Most car enthusiasts have come to recognize the 1949 Oldsmobile 88 as the first post-war "Muscle Car." Then of course there is the 1955 Chrysler 300. Both predated the GH. It's important to know your audience when using terms like "first" or best of anything.

Bill

Comment

Bill, see Patrick Foster's column in a fairly recent issue of "Hemmings Classic Car" .
          Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            I don't THINK SO Jack, I want my Studebakers to be ALL Studebaker!
            Rich, we know you are just being a provocateur; your ALL Studebaker wouldn't be much without Borg-Warner transmissions, Dana rear axles, Bendix/Wagner brakes, Delco/Autolite electrics, Stewart-Warner gauges, et al. At least, the Packard V8 was a product of Studebaker-Packard Corporation.

jack vines

BTW, Bez, should you need a grille, I've got an extra.

And what do you know about the condition of said Packard V8?
            PackardV8

Comment

Patrick Foster is entitled to his opinion, but he doesn't speak for the majority of the car world. You don't have to look very far to find that the majority of the world feels that it's the 49 Olds 88. By the way a term not even coined until the 70's. Not trying to start an argument, but be careful just don't start crowing about the GH to a GM fan, unless you really want a fight!

Comment

The engine and transmission are supposed to be rebuilt, but never run since. I will look them over before attempting any running. I may leave stock. I do have an extra drivetrain I may beef up the transmission with the GM hydro-matic sprag, and Alto clutches. I want to tow my camper with it someday.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Maybe that's what the majority of the world feels, but the majority of the world feels that a 289 V8 is a Ford!
                  Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

This one has that "other Ford engine" You know...the 352!
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948

Comment

lol !! You're right!
                      Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                        The engine and transmission are supposed to be rebuilt, but never run since. I will look them over before attempting any running. I may leave stock. I do have an extra drivetrain I may beef up the transmission with the GM hydro-matic sprag, and Alto clutches. I want to tow my camper with it someday.
                        Does the car currently have a GM transmission? Maybe TH400?

Comment

Not too hard to make these look good. Looks like a nice project. Is the original drivetrain intact? Manual or automatic trans?
                          james r pepper

Comment

It's the ultramatic. The changes I mentioned are my way of beefing up the transmission. The old 50s 4 speed hydramatic sprag holds up better than the Packard unit, and Kevlar bands, and Alto powerglide "red eagle" clutches make it hold much better when shifting. Of course yo loose the silky smooth shifts, but you also loose the slippage with every shift. The internals are so heavy and have so much inertia, that they always slip some when they shift, and that makes them eventually slip all the time. Proper modern materials go a long ways to remedy the problem. Also, paying attention to the trans pressure adjustment has a long ways to also help ameliorate what has been described as a problem transmission . Everything can be improved upon.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948

Comment

It's the ultramatic. The changes I mentioned are my way of beefing up the transmission. The old 50s 4 speed hydramatic sprag holds up better than the Packard unit, and Kevlar bands, and Alto powerglide "red eagle" clutches make it hold much better when shifting. Of course you loose the silky smooth shifts, but you also loose the slippage with every shift. The internals are so heavy and have so much inertia, that they always slip some when they shift, and that makes them eventually slip all the time. Proper modern materials go a long ways to remedy the problem. Also, paying attention to the trans pressure adjustment has a long ways to also help ameliorate what has been described as a problem transmission . Everything can be improved upon.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948

Comment

Working...
                              X