Visor sleeve for sliding roof 1963-66 Wagonaires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visor sleeve for sliding roof 1963-66 Wagonaires

It is my understanding that this visor sleeve was placed on the interior drivers side visor of all sliding roof Wagonaires 1963-66. $20 plus postage if interested. I am guessing not too many originals have survived. rtq11@aol.com if interested.
    Attached Files
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

I have never seen that sleeve, including on the 1963 Wagonaire that I purchased from the original owner in about 1971. However, the dash did have a label on it stating the same thing. Perhaps the sleeve was only on very early Wagonaires (until the dash sign started).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Doubt seriously Gary if a visor sleeve would have survived for 8 years. Yes, I do have the instrument panel (not dash) warning as well.
      Richard Quinn

Comment

A plunger locking device for intermediate positions was a mid-year addition for the 1963 model year. The Owner's Guide also made mention of it in a revised printing. (I scanned both early and later editions below.)
        Gary, did your Wagonaire have the plunger?

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; Yesterday, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I am not so sure that is correct Craig.
          The reason I say that is when fully reading the back side of Richard's example I see they do say that POSITIVE Locking CANNOT be achieved in any position except all the way closed or open.

Which means: CAUTION! although you CAN turn the Handle to the "Locked" position in ANY location, it COULD still move and hit Kids in the 3rd. Seat in the head!

If I remember correctly, the Late '63 and on Latch Devices you are talking about on the Rails WERE for exactly the opposite position: those in-between locations for positive locking.

So that just leaves us not really knowing WHEN the "Sleeves" started, maybe from the beginning?

We bought our First '63 Daytona Wagonaire from the original Calif. owner in 1968 when it was only 5 years old and it had no latches or sleeve, but that Proves nothing since it was likely discarded to be replaced with COMMON SENSE that people in those days actually HAD!

Those still would be a really Cool novelty item to put on at Car Shows.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-03-2019, 07:52 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Original "in action."Click image for larger version

Name:	in use matt burnett.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1812663
            Richard Quinn

Comment

Stan Johnson (Stevens Design) mentioned to me that there was concern for the moving roof section in a hard stop or start. The sliding roof had a fair amount of weight and potential inertia. Maybe the latch and warning was a result of this concern.
              james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                Doubt seriously Gary if a visor sleeve would have survived for 8 years. Yes, I do have the instrument panel (not dash) warning as well.
                It may not have. However, a 1953 Commander Starliner, that I purchased from the original owner in about 1969, still had its AT visor sleeve with it. The Wagonaire's sleeve may not have been on the visor, but I was thinking that it would be with the car's papers.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  That locking device was a mid-year addition for the 1963 model year. The Owner's Guide also made mention of it in a revised printing. Early Wagonaires would not have had this sleeve as they didn't have the locking plunger. Gary, did your Wagonaire have the plunger?

Craig
                  IIR, my Wagonaire's sliding roof only locked in the full open of closed positions. This would mean that the subject sleeve would only be for the Wagonaires with the ability to be locked in intermediate positions.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I don't THINK so Gary, re-read Post #5. Just the Opposite.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      I don't THINK so Gary, re-read Post #5. Just the Opposite.
                      You are correct, Rich. I read to "...LOCKED...in any intermediate position." Reading further, I see; "...positive locking...ONLY in these positions..." (full open or full closed).
                      This makes me think that the sleeve is only correct for the early 1963 Wagonaires, not all 1963-1966 Wagonaires.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

If that was correct Gary , why would there be the sticker on the dash with the same message on all the wagonaires ?
                        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Email sent Richard

mark

Comment

Mathew B sold a wagonaire last year on bring a trailer that had this sleeve on it. It was a 1963 and is the only one I have ever seen, did not know these existed before Matthews ad. I have a picture of it from the ad if interested.

mark

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                              If that was correct Gary , why would there be the sticker on the dash with the same message on all the wagonaires ?
                              I do not believe that the message on the dash said that the roof could only be locked fully open or fully closed. The dash message applied to both types of roof.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X