Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Avanti frame the same as one for a ‘53,’54 coupe ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Avanti frame the same as one for a ‘53,’54 coupe ?

Hi guys. I’m working on a belated promise. To build a slick ‘54 coupe for my Daughter. There is a guy who builds nice frames for the Avanti using modern suspension , etc. I believe years ago a Studebaker guy told me the coupe would fit right on the Avanti frame. Is this correct ? Thanks,Dave

Dave - do not think they are the same - the wheel base is 11.5” different from one to the other.
    Last edited by 62champ; 10-09-2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Art Morrison has a frame for a C/K Studebaker in his catalog ..

http://www.artmorrison.com/frames.php

(and he did Michael Scarabino's Daytona chassis, too).

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Wow! That black 53 is sweet!
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          Art Morrison has a frame for a C/K Studebaker in his catalog ..

http://www.artmorrison.com/frames.php

(and he did Michael Scarabino's Daytona chassis, too).

Jeff, does it cost extra for an x member?

Comment

Originally posted by Chopit View Post
            Studebaker guy told me the coupe would fit right on the Avanti frame. Is this correct ? Thanks,Dave
            ....No.....
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

If memory serves me right (always suspect), even if their geometry is the same, somewhere I think I read that not even the 53 and 54 frames are the same? I'm thinking the '54 frame was made heavier/stronger than the '53?
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The wheelbase for all the C & K bodies (1953 coupe/HT all the way up to 1964 Hawk) is 120.5 inches. The wheelbase for the Avanti is 109 inches. The aftermarket Avanti frame would have to be lengthened 11.5 in.
                -Dwight

Comment

No, it won't work, at least not easily. Avanti frame is based on Lark convertible frame. 63 or 64 GT Hawk frame is heavier than previous models and may be more easily adapted.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopit View Post
                    Hi guys. I’m working on a belated promise. To build a slick ‘54 coupe for my Daughter. There is a guy who builds nice frames for the Avanti using modern suspension , etc. I believe years ago a Studebaker guy told me the coupe would fit right on the Avanti frame. Is this correct ? Thanks,Dave
                    Dave, like other have said they are not the same, but a better frame for the 53-54 C or K cars would be from a later Cor K car, most like the 62-64 GT hawk frames they are thicker and have the bad wing cross member. You are new I see and live in Castro Valley, Ca. so do I here is my cell number if you want to talk about Studebaker's 510-266-2522 if no answer leave a text .....Bob
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post

Jeff, does it cost extra for an x member?
                      Does not need one on the Morrison frame.
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

& I thought "x member" would be a joke vs "being or not being a member"...

Comment

Ok , thank you ,Dave

Comment

Hi Bob , we’ve met, I bought some stuff from you. You’ve been to my house just after you bought that Dodge wagon with the Hemi in it and you did a small burnout as you left. Just off of crow canyon road. I would not be surprised if that was 10 years ago the way time flys . I’m looking to get started on my Daughters coupe as I’m retired now. I’d like to put a nice frame under it. I have front and rear C-4 Corvette suspension , that I’d like to use . I’d also like to do the Gentleman’s chop on it . I’d like to stay away from Morrison as they are extremely proud of what the make. Like real proud.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              If memory serves me right (always suspect), even if their geometry is the same, somewhere I think I read that not even the 53 and 54 frames are the same? I'm thinking the '54 frame was made heavier/stronger than the '53?
                              yes.........

Comment

Working...
                              X