Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help finding where these JTS engines came from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding where these JTS engines came from?

I have two R2 JTS engines and am wondering if anyone knows or could find the history of them such as where they came from or what was the date on them. One came out of a custom 60' lark I recently purchased.

The first number is JTS 1272
    The second number is JTS 1423

Thanks.
    Last edited by Lowrey; 10-06-2019, 06:45 PM.

You lucky dog finding two JTS engines!

They should read JTS 1272 and JTS 1423. The 1 looks like a I. Of course you know they came out of 63 or 64 Larks or Hawks. Most likely a 63 hawk.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
      You lucky dog finding two JTS engines!

They should read JTS 1272 and JTS 1423. The 1 looks like a I. Of course you know they came out of 63 or 64 Larks or Hawks. Most likely a 63 hawk.
      These came from a 1963 Lark or Hawk that was assembled in South Bend. The numbering system was different for the 1964 model year.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

They are not Date coded, so that narrows it down to a '63 Lark or Hawk and since they are all the same, it matters little.

Usually (like late '60's, to '80's) they come from a Wreck, but sometimes from a parted out Car.
        That happened a lot more often if the original "remove" was more recent, like in the last 30 years.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the information I did think it was an I.

Comment

JTS 1272 is from a hawk and JTS 1423 is from a four-speed Daytona hardtop

Comment

Studebaker used an "I" (Roman numeral 1) to mean a "1" on both engine serial numbers and vehicle serial numbers.
              -Dwight

Comment

Thanks studejohn for this info!

Comment

Lowrey tell us the story on the 2 R2 engines please.

Comment

JTS1272 was shipped in 1963 Hawk, Serial Number 63V9921. Blue Mist with Heavy-Duty, column-shift Flightomatic.

JTS1423 was shipped in 1963 Daytona Hardtop, Serial Number 63V16964. Champagne Gold with 4-speed.

BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The engine that is JTS 1272 came from the 60' lark in the picture that was from a somewhat recent post on the for sale part of the forum.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          JTS1272 was shipped in 1963 Hawk, Serial Number 63V9921. Blue Mist with Heavy-Duty, column-shift Flightomatic.

JTS1423 was shipped in 1963 Daytona Hardtop, Serial Number 63V16964. Champagne Gold with 4-speed.

BP
                          Update. Must be The Whistler's brother .

Comment

Working...
                          X