1964 Avanti R2 $66,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Avanti R2 $66,000

Sold yesterday at Worldwide Auctioneers in Corpus Christi, TX a 1964 Studebaker Avanti R2 for $66,000.

https://worldwideauctioneers.com/car.../?id=69&rid=95
    Mike
    Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Unless they spent 70K + on a restoration, the seller must be over the moon.

Comment

I'd say the restoration was done a while back but still a nice car and a good price for the Avanti world.

Comment

Excellent example.

Other than the "shortened Lark frame" mis-information, a very good synopsis.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

It was up at No Reserve. In only takes two that really want something to make this kind of result at an auction.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            Excellent example.

Other than the "shortened Lark frame" mis-information, a very good synopsis.

jack vines
            This is a rare example where I disagree with you, Jack. The wheelbase wasn't shortened, but the frame was. That is why the Avanti has that tube (rear crossmember) across the rear end of the frame. On the prototype it was a piece of exhaust tubing used to hold the frame sides in place.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

This is a rare example where I disagree with you, Jack. The wheelbase wasn't shortened, but the frame was. That is why the Avanti has that tube (rear crossmember) across the rear end of the frame. On the prototype it was a piece of exhaust tubing used to hold the frame sides in place.
              Correct; I made an assumption the author was saying the wheelbase had been shortened, as were the late Avanti II on the shortened GM frame.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
              X