No announcement yet.

SUPERLARK...to be or not to be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N8, I'd bet a six pack that the 1963 160 MPH speedo was not even in production until used on package cars.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Nel's I never apologized to you for beating your friend to that car.Rest assured, the old man never mentioned anyone else chasing the car. When he told me he wanted $1500 for the car, I bought it sight unseen and only learned later about your friend after the check was cashed and the car was mine.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

N8, I'd bet a six pack that the 1963 160 MPH speedo was not even in production until used on package cars.

JDP/Maryland
        Thomas Jefferson

I think you're right on that one.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Nel's I never apologized to you for beating your friend to that car.Rest assured, the old man never mentioned anyone else chasing the car. When he told me he wanted $1500 for the car, I bought it sight unseen and only learned later about your friend after the check was cashed and the car was mine.

JDP/Maryland
          Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't upset with you but I was sort of upset with the guy I told about the car. I was going to buy it but passed it on to him and he didn't react as quick or complete as he should have.

Comment

Oddly, he then apparently added Twin Traction and disk brakes and was only HD springs and shocks away from a package.

JDP/Maryland
            "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the
            more I have of it."
            Thomas Jeffer

There was a difference between heavy duty rear springs and pkg car rear springs. Therefore just hd rear springs and shocks still wouldn't make the grade.

Comment

Nel's, I've lost a deal or two to a tire kicking friend myself, but have gotten more aggressive recently. I had a friend trying to buy the same car we found separately. It was a 22K R2 package GT that he wanted me to hold off buying to see if the guy would except his much lower offer. I waited a week or two, then asked him if I could pull he trigger with a higher offer before we both lost he`car.

JDP/Maryland
              Thomas Jefferson
              JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Then all R2's came with the 160 speedo and red line tach, not just package cars ? If so,that was not the case in 63.

JDP
                John: Revised 1963 Price List #PD63-32 is dated early; October 4, 1962. I have an original of it here.

It lists exactly the same scenario for Tachometer as does the 1964 material just quoted: Optional on Hawk, Standard with Avanti engine. So there is documentation as early as October 4, 1962, that a tachometer was standard equipment when any JT engine was ordered on a 1963 Lark or Hawk.

Now, as for 160 MPH speedo. That was listed as standard with the new Super Packages announced March 19, 1963, but I cannot locate documentation one way or another as to when 1963 JT cars became so equipped, although they surely were. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Nel's, I did not know the package springs and shocks were unique. This thread should be good documentation for the future. It looks like you could not build a package car without specifying the package.
                  It shows how hard it is the build a clone. I once saved a guy from buying a clone of a R2 Hawk by looking at the left, front motor mount. He had not added the correct gas tank either.

JDP/Maryland
                  Thomas Jefferson
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

You must have a sharp eye. I think I would have spotted the gas tank but wouldn't have given the motor mount a thought.

Comment

It's easy to see.

JDP/Maryland
                      Thomas Jefferson
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

It's easy to see.

JDP/Maryland
                        Thomas Jefferson

That looks like the job they did on the frame to fit a Chevy in 65. Just get out the hammer.

Comment

How is that an indicator?? If someone dented in the motor mount it's not an r2 car?

Please elaborate for those of us who don't know what you're talking about[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

The R1/R2 Hawks had a unique frame mount that has a dented area to clear the bigger fuel pump.

JDP/Maryland
                            Thomas Jefferson
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Since my 64 Daytona came with HD springs and shocks along with a 289 and 4 bbl. it is almost an R1 car. It's missing only a few options but it's super to me so its a Super Lark.

If you're getting down to rarity Tommo, a "fast car" of which they produced six would be rarer than a package car. IMHO I liked the quick car designation better than fast car.

Did they still call them Super Larks in 64 when they were trying to down play the Lark name?

Nick

Comment

Yes, still SuperLarks in 64.

JDP/Maryland
                                Thomas Jefferson
                                JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                                X