No announcement yet.

Funny story about my Studes and a jerk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or the guy that asked me what kind of car my 56 Power Hawk was and when I told him Studebaker, he said who made that ..Oldsmobile? I guess he knew Olds had gone under and added 2 2 and got 19.

Don

Comment

It's one thing to hear people that don't know about Studebakers; but when I get one who doesn't care to know, but goes out of his way to insult the marque for no reason (like the subjects of this thread), I just don't understand[}]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Yeah, pulled into the Pier 4 cruise the other week on Ford Night and immediately got "you a Ford product?" from the youngster near the entrance who was directing all the Fords into the feature area. (I replied that neither I nor my car were Ford products...) The kid was diligent but evidently not a styling-recognition expert. OK, the Lark is a bit of an oddball...but I watched him try to peg all manner of nice Chevs and Buicks and Dodges as "Ford products" too! Actually I found it entertaining...And there were, to be sure, plenty of nice Fords there that night.

Here in Hamilton, of course, the public perception--at least among those my age and up--of Studebakers is heavily coloured by nostalgia. Any Hamiltonian who likes old cars is likely to have a soft spot for Studes. Far more than "who made Studebaker?" or "hey, is that an old Mercedes?" (thanks Mr Stevens!), I get "hey, what year's your Studebaker?" and "Was this one made in Hamilton?". Got both those questions this evening from a gent at the Ancaster Optimists cruise. Actually, the first query he answered himself, accurately pegging Betty as a 62. He was pleased to hear "yes" to the second query. For his part...he has a 65 Daytona project, which had been slated to become a drag racer, but will now be refurbished for street use (another car became his dragster project). The Daytona too is a Hamilton car (of course, being a 65) and will turn up before too long at cruises here. So there's another one soon to exit the woodwork.

Meantime, let's all keep the faith...and memorize some of the great zinger responses this thread is generating.

S.

Comment

Working...
        X