New Foster Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Foster Book

Does any one know if Patrick Foster will be in Lancaster selling his new book? Shipping and handling and border charges are a bit of a killer sometimes and it would be great to avoid them and pick up the book "direct".

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
    47 M-5
    Izzer Buggy
    Junior Wagon
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

I heard he was going to be there Roger, but have you checked out Amazon.ca? I [u]think</u> they may have the book competitively priced.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

That's a thing of the past, Roger. As Mark says, go to Amazon.ca

Comment

I know I heard that it was a possibility that Mr. Foster WILL be at the Meet. I'm sure Don will comment here soon.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to it's last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

I bought mine at Amazon.com for $26.40 and it came in a few days.

I may take it to Lancaster and have Mr. Foster autograph it.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Don't remember where I got mine, but that's what I paid. The source was recommended on this forum a month or 2 ago.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to it's last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

As an aside, my latest sig. line is a quote from that book

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote]Originally posted by lstude

I bought mine at Amazon.com for $26.40 and it came in a few days.
                Leonard Shepherd
                [/quote]

Amazon has only 4 reviews posted for this book so far. How about you Studebaker people offering your "review" of it here on the Forum???

I leafed through a copy last week at the SNM. It appeared to have many previously published pictures. The few paragraphs I did have time to read did not convince me to buy it & take it home. It looks to be a good "starter book" for someone just getting interested in Studebakers.

Other's opinions ...please!!!

<h4>The older I get ...the better I was! </h4>

Comment

I LOVED the book! It tells the story from a corporate perspective, which is an excellent way to illustrate what the company went through.

I HIGHLY recommend it!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

There were a few pictures that I hadn't seen especially the Avanti sedan prototypes and the 67 prototypes, but not many.

My pet peeve is this picture of a 64 Daytona convertible that I have seen in so many books. It just irks me to see aftermarket items on a Studebaker in a book like this, especially the "Pep Boys" black side trim.

Of course, it is a nice looking car and may bring people to like Studebakers, so it is not all bad.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

The Keystone Region has a goal to make the 44th Annual International Meet the best SDC Meet held to date. In an effort to accomplish that we have invited to the meet as our special guest Pat Foster. Pat will arrive at noon on Wednesday 0/917/08 and will remain through Friday 09/19/08. He will be available to sign books and will be attending many of the planned events. He is currently scheduled to attend the STF Banquet on Wednesday evening, will be at the SDC National Auction. Thursday he will be on the Concours field for personal autographs and book sales. In the evening he will be attending the AOAI Banquet and later the Keystone's Fun Night. On Friday he will be taking a tour of significant early Studebajer family history sites with your truly and available in the Lobby of the Host for book signings and conversation with Studebakerites. IN the evening he will be attending the SDC Awards Banquet as tge guest of the Keystone Region where he will be a special participant in the program. Saturday he will again be available in the lobby of the HOST for book signings and Studebakerites conversation. In addition to Pat John Hull will also be in attendance at the meet available for book signings and conversation concerning Avantis.
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

As an aside, my latest sig. line is a quote from that book

Robert (Bob) Andrews

Larkaholic! [}]

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar Deluxe
                        Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                        May 23 & 24, 2009?
                        </h5>
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

There were a few pictures that I hadn't seen especially the Avanti sedan prototypes and the 67 prototypes, but not many.

My pet peeve is this picture of a 64 Daytona convertible that I have seen in so many books. It just irks me to see aftermarket items on a Studebaker in a book like this, especially the "Pep Boys" black side trim.

Of course, it is a nice looking car and may bring people to like Studebakers, so it is not all bad.

Leonard Shepherd

Did you notice what looks to be a '63 JT- or JTS-powered fender badge on the lower passenger side fender?

Paul
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Overall I think it's a pretty decent book, but it does have its little nits. On page 112 there is a picture of one of the Packard pickups, but he obviously didn't get the true story "We're not sure why this vehicle was produced..." On page 140 the caption of a picture of a square headlight Avanti reads "The exciting 1963 Studebaker Avanti was one of the..." I did find the 1967 information to be very intreresting. Some of the minor styling changes proposed were really impressive.
                            Chapters were given the opportunity to buy the books at a group rate. Our Potomac Chapter newletter editor got the required ten orders so my book cost me $22.47 total.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                            Museum R-4 engine
                            1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                            1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul as you know you will have the opportunity to discss all of the nits with him in person in Lancaster. I too have found a few minor points but overall believe that he did a really great job. Look forward to seeing you in Lancaster in just less than 6 weeks.
                              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                              X