Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lee, Avantis are my passion but Studebakers are my life blood as the stable consists of more than just Avantis. it also includes 2 63 GT Hawks (1 a project), 61 Champ and a 64 Lark Daytona which I like to say is my Grandfathermobile.[8D][}]
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wolfie

I Too thought it was volunteer.At any rate it is Im sure a lot of work and I know a lot of stress as it is a lot of stress just to read through the ramblings of those few members like you Lee who have no life and no drive to create one for yourself so insist on sharing your misery with the other members of this hobby.Do you own a studebaker? Have you ever seen a studebaker? Can you even spell studebaker? In a nutshell if you are not happy here GTFA! Mr Shaw HAS in the time I have been here done a very commendable job of keeping the forum up and running while keeping the problem children at bay and why he doesnt just bar your sorry a** is beyond me.He is I assure you much more patient than I.Proud studebaker owner, participant,and promoter of my hobby,Steve
      So what year did you graduate from Clown College? Because you're pretty funny.

Want to compare lives, go ahead and state your life's accomplishments and I'll see if I should be envious.

To answer your questions:
      Yes, I've bought 4 and sold/parted out 3, I currently own one that's probably nicer than one you'll ever own.
      Yes, I've seen plenty of Studebakers.
      Yes, unlike you I prefer to spell it with a capitol S.

Comment

Folks if you want to banter back and forth with each other please take it private and remember this is a public forum not meant for this kind of stuff as each of us is entitled to our own PO which should not offend anyone although we do from time to time.
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The PAID positions within SDC are no secret, nor is the amount being earned by the various Independent Contractors. (I don't believe the club has any employees, but could be mistaken.) The Treasurer's Report appears periodically in Turning Wheels.

For reference, the first one I grabbed with a TR was September 2007. Therein, on Page 7, you can see the amount paid for Webmaster and Web Hosting: $2,010 for the quarter. That isn't the amount the Webmaster received free and clear, because it includes expenses.

If the position is going to pay $50,000 per year before expenses in 2011, I'd say it has a way to go, because it may now be annualized at roughly $8,000 including expenses. SDC is going to have to step up recruiting efforts dramatically if we are going to multiply anyone's compensation by 825% three years hence...but, personally, I am anxiously awaiting the raise!

Anyway, Bob Shaw, "carry on." We all (well, OK; 99.9999% of us) appreciate the job you do. (And let's be honest, if the forum is down awhile, everyone will get a disproportionate amount of work done on one or more Studebakers today!) [^]BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob, $8000 sounds more realistic. For $50K, most here could quit their jobs and just be a full time webmaster for this site, it's be one hell of a good paying part-time job.

I'm still going to disagree on bringing the site down during the times scheduled (even if it is a cable television schedule... sometime between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.). If it were me I'd be following my maintenance schedule for upgrades... Sunday mornings are always good, and if it has to be done within the next 24 hours, the next morning before 7:00 is normally good for most people.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by 61hawk

"Holy Cow!!! What kind of piss poor network management is this? "I'm going to take it down during the middle of the day... but can't tell you when"."

I needed to post "something" on the forum because at that time the precise maintenance process was not firm and I wanted to give folks a bit of notice. Sorry for such piss poor management, Lee. And yes, it'll be during the "middle of the day" (though it's no longer going to be today). I suppose if you were in charge you'd demand that people come in and do the work between 1 and 5 a.m. My choice is to let the people doing the work to be with their families at night. Again, I am sorry I am not as hard-nosed as you.

"Good thing Bob was handed the contract for the next three years, because there will be some serious competition for this reportedly $50K/yr. paid position..."

I do not know where you are getting your "50k"information but you really need to stop sharing your meds with him or her. Or are you just telling the lie to stir things up? If you or anyone wants to know how much it costs the SDC to have this website read the doggone financials they take the time to publish in TW. I will tell you that my "salary" and the hosting company's costs is 4 figures annually. I'd bet that's just a month's work for an expert network manager like you, Lee.

"I just wish I would have found out about the bidding process a year ago..."

The SDC published a request for webmaster proposals in Turning Wheels in late 2006 or early 2007 (as they do for all contracted positions). In addition, I posted the RFP notice on this website on 3/7/07 (http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rproposals.asp). I am deeply sorry, Lee that the two main SDC communication devices, TW and the website), were not sufficient for getting the word to you. Perhaps the SDC board can modify it's policy to read, "...all such notices shall be published in Turning Wheel, on the SDC website, and a phone call to that network guru in Ubekestan who apparently doesn't know how to read."

...not that I would have had a chance in what I suspect is a classic good ol' boy network."

Oh, I'm sure with your penchant for demeaning dialoque, absence of logical discourse and reliance on four letter words would have captivated the SDC Board. Besides, managing networks, including a "good ol' boys network", would be a piece of cake for you, right?

"For those of you who do not know anything about network management... Bob would be out on his ass on Day 1 if he tried this crap in the real world.

I have told you before, Lee, that if you want my job, start by filing a formal complaint with the SDC. My contract can be canceled in a heartbeat and you could be the saviour of this website. So go ahead and prepare your case. Frankly, I could use the time to work on my Studebaker.

"I really would like to know what Bob's qualifications and experiences are for this job."

I have no qualifications or experience in network management. My background in in writing, creative direction and account management. I designed the website, provided its contents (much of it written by me) and manage the contents daily. I have never professed to be anything more. I do have associates that work with me on the server/technical side.

"Reading these other comments, it's like looking at a bunch of star struck sheep. "Yes Mr. Shaw, Thank you Mr. Shaw, You're doing a wonderful job Mr. Shaw." If only you knew..."

Ah, now you've got to the heart of the matter. All these "sheep" (who only "think" they are satisfied with the website) are in fact being sheared by me and I am pulling their own wool over their eyes!

Unfortunately for me, you have exposed me for what I am...the guy who does not deliver the better than 99.9999% server uptime that Lee The Exceptional can. I am not worthy in your presence.

BShaw,Webmaster
              [img]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/StudeRobert/Stude
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota
              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I've seen this coming for a while... I just knew comments being made elsewhere would eventually find their way over here. I would rather have been wrong, but this ain't my first rodeo. <G>

I appreciate the appropriate responses, including facts, to offset the bitter attacks, which were based on fiction and ignorance.

Bob, you have been more than patient and understanding.

Lee, most of us express appreciation for what Bob does because we do understand that he is putting in a lot of time and effort for not much compensation. For what I pay in dues, nothing more than Turning Wheels would be a bargain, any thing else is gravy. True, down time is not fun, but it's not like the company payroll is late because of it. Bob is addressing the issue his way, and within the resources of the club... which does not have (or need) a "network management" budget like a university.

I think you owe Mr. Shaw and others here an apology, but I'm not holding my breath. Please do not attempt to turn this forum into the vast wasteland of garbage the news group has become... because I'm pretty sure the majority of folks here will not stand for it. Bob has been gracious in dealing with you. Many of us have not responded to your posts out of respect for Bob, and a desire to prevent throwing fuel on the fire, to the detriment of the forum.

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
                    Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
                    See you at Niagara 2008 Crossroads Zone Meet July 18-20
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by BShaw

[quote]Originally posted by 61hawk

"Holy Cow!!! What kind of piss poor network management is this? "I'm going to take it down during the middle of the day... but can't tell you when"."

I needed to post "something" on the forum because at that time the precise maintenance process was not firm and I wanted to give folks a bit of notice. Sorry for such piss poor management, Lee. And yes, it'll be during the "middle of the day" (though it's no longer going to be today). I suppose if you were in charge you'd demand that people come in and do the work between 1 and 5 a.m. My choice is to let the people doing the work to be with their families at night. Again, I am sorry I am not as hard-nosed as you.

Sorry, but people's personal life have nothing to do with this, it's part of the job. Anybody in this line of work knows you do your maintenance during the time in which it will cause the least amount of disturbance to it's customers. Actually I wouldn't "demand that people come in to do the work between 1 and 5 a.m."... because I'd be doing the work myself. And like I have said in a later post, that would mean Sunday mornings or prior to 7:00 a.m.. Not hard nose, but just following IT "Best Practice" procedures.

"Good thing Bob was handed the contract for the next three years, because there will be some serious competition for this reportedly $50K/yr. paid position..."

I do not know where you are getting your "50k"information but you really need to stop sharing your meds with him or her. Or are you just telling the lie to stir things up? If you or anyone wants to know how much it costs the SDC to have this website read the doggone financials they take the time to publish in TW. I will tell you that my "salary" and the hosting company's costs is 4 figures annually. I'd bet that's just a month's work for an expert network manager like you, Lee.

Actually I have heard this figure from two different sources, both of whom are now proven wrong.

"I just wish I would have found out about the bidding process a year ago..."

The SDC published a request for webmaster proposals in Turning Wheels in late 2006 or early 2007 (as they do for all contracted positions). In addition, I posted the RFP notice on this website on 3/7/07 (http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rproposals.asp). I am deeply sorry, Lee that the two main SDC communication devices, TW and the website), were not sufficient for getting the word to you. Perhaps the SDC board can modify it's policy to read, "...all such notices shall be published in Turning Wheel, on the SDC website, and a phone call to that network guru in Ubekestan who apparently doesn't know how to read."

That was my fault, it would mean reading TW instead of throwing it in the stack of other unread issues. I don't recall seeing it here, I can see now that it was posted... I guess I need to make a habit of surfing the entire site. Maybe we could have a "News" section on the homepage for recent news and changes. I see you don't see any humor in my Location, oh well... if you don't want it there, remove the country.

...not that I would have had a chance in what I suspect is a classic good ol' boy network."

Oh, I'm sure with your penchant for demeaning dialoque, absence of logical discourse and reliance on four letter words would have captivated the SDC Board. Besides, managing networks, including a "good ol' boys network", would be a piece of cake for you, right?

[b]Sorry, I don't play the good ol' boy network thing. It's been discussed at more than one large meet, that there is a handful of people who run this club and if you want something done you don't disagree or rub them the wrong way i

Comment

Okay enough ..CAN WE CLOSE THIS OFF NOW?

we've seen enough blood for today

Bob

I think it's wise to lock down this topic ....

no need continue down this wrong way street ......

any body need a brand X ambulance?

John Sweeney
                        Folsom CA
                        1951 Studebaker Champion Regal Business Coupe
                        1937 Dictator Coupe

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"
                        Cruisin’ News is dedicated to serving Northern and Central California by promoting events and assisting in the sale of parts and vehicles.

John
                        Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

Comment

Mr. Shaw, thank you from a blinded sheep. I'd a lot rather know a site will be down for maintenance ahead of time than to not be able to get there at all.

Personally, I have two thoughts of solutions here. One, delete the entire thread, Mr. Shaw, now that you know only one person doesn't appreciate your efforts and the rest of us do.

And, maybe no one will ever respond to 61hawk again. Ever.

I, for one, have total control of one of these solutions, and will exercise that control.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Hey, Starlite51, that's not a Studebaker, what's it doing here?

Oh, I know. It's a statement enhancement. I get it now.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Mr. Shaw, thank you from a blinded sheep. I'd a lot rather know a site will be down for maintenance ahead of time than to not be able to get there at all.

Personally, I have two thoughts of solutions here. One, delete the entire thread, Mr. Shaw, now that you know only one person doesn't appreciate your efforts and the rest of us do.

And, maybe no one will ever respond to 61hawk again. Ever.

I, for one, have total control of one of these solutions, and will exercise that control.

Maybe you could tell me where in my last post I was wrong. Or are you going to ignore me because you don't like what I have to say, be it the truth or not.

Comment

Having given 61Hawk the opportunity to reply to my response I have closed the topic.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
                                Woodbury, Minnesota
                                sigpic
                                Bob Shaw
                                Rush City, Minnesota
                                1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                                "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Working...
                                X