No announcement yet.

Is this a fair deal? 48 conv.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I emailed the seller asking for photos of the underbody. The impssible to replace subfloor boxes are intact. He added photos. So it looks like this car is solid and if I did not have that 47 Commander albatross around my neck I would be bidding. Can you add a Commander engine to a Champ

Comment

I'm confused. If the museum verified it as a '47 and if it's been documented that Studebaker went over the normal production time run that year, why would they now change the ad to a '48? Is the 7G body tag an early '48 number and possible that it's actually a '47? No title, cowl color..body tag maybe switched? Is there a frame serial number available for verification on this year? Looks like a great car for a driver project.

Comment

The dash is '48. The bumper guards are '48. And it is now wearing a '49 grille
        And what about those things on top of the front fenders[:0][?]
        "The top needs repair." UH, YEAH...All I see is the rear window frame (Which is the most important part BTW)
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Not sure if this would be of interest to you, but we have a completely restored 1948 Champion convertible that we'd be willing to sell. It has the original 6 cyl. engine, completely rebuilt. 3 speed with overdrive. New clutch and pressure plate, rebuilt starter and carbureator. New plugs, wires, wheel cylinder, brakes, brake hoses, master cylinder. The radio works, the interior is new (maroon), it has a new beige top, the dash has been professionally woodgrained back to the original style and the car has a new yellow paint job. This car has been 100% redone and you wouldn't have to spend anything on it. VERY nice. $23,000.

Comment

Well, I am not sure about the miles. Sure, I had a 1966 chev one owner with 50,600 miles that had a small spot, but this looks like too much rust for 22k, unless it filled with wet mud or salt for years? This looks excessive, but why are the 2 pics of the underbody showing no rusted seams? Is there a shelf in there that maybe was a good spot for a nasty mouse nest that stayed "wet" with you know what??

I don't get this on a car that looks good elsewhere, as far as lack of rust. I'm bummed out. The car was growing on me the last few days.

Sure, I can fix this spot as good as new in a weekend, but you know what I mean.

Comment

What you are looking at is two pieces welded together that were poorly designed. The outside fender was stamped with the outline of the door, then another backing piece that stuck out was welded to the inner part of the fender. The fender to the rear of that opening is folded back on itself and not sealed. As you drive, mud, dirt, and water build up between the two pices of the door and the bent back fender causing that damage. What makes it worde is a convoluted series of duct work that forces outside air either into the cabin or down into the underfloor heater. That is typical rust.

Comment

Originally posted by bondobilly

"That is typical rust."

Absolutely. Since when does rust equal more mileage? IMHO probably more than 22k, but way less than 122k. like JP said.

Comment

Working...
                X