Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric windshield wipers for M5 from JcWhitney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric windshield wipers for M5 from JcWhitney?

I would like to install electric wipers on my M5 truck.
    I noticed JCWhitney has them available.
    Has anyone purchased and used these?
    If so which ones with how long of shaft, etc?
    I would appreciate hearing of your experience
    It could help me to avoid buying the wrong items.
    Thanks.
    Paul

Hi Paul,

I don't know about the J.C. Whitney wipers but have had quality problems with them in the past. I have a universal kit in my M, the one sold by several different hot rod parts suppliers, and it works fine here in sunny Tucson. I am not sure about it in someplace where it would be used more often. Works with a greased shaft very similar to a pipe cleaner--wierd but it does work. I would try New Port Engineering, they make a really nice unit for a number of classic trucks. newportwipers.com

Jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff.
      But according to NewportWipers' website they only have 49-53 years available for Studebaker trucks.
      None for the M series.
      Paul

Comment

quote:Originally posted by pszikszai

Thanks Jeff.
        But according to NewportWipers' website they only have 49-53 years available for Studebaker trucks.
        Paul
        I have seen the NewportWipers unit used successfully, however when I ordered one of their units for a '50 2R6 I had several years ago it would not work as the glove box that extends into the cab interfered with the wiper unit. I talked with them about this and they said there were two different units for the C-Cab trucks (?). The sent a second unit but when installed properly it would not make a sweep across the entire wind shied on the driver's side.

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Several people have adapted the electric wiper motors supplied for Model A Fords. These are available in both 6 and 12 volt versions. See the LeBaron Bonney web site, for example. One of the mounting "ears" needs to be ground off to fit the motors under the cowl, but it seems adaptable. These are pretty cheap, as well. Bob Carney wrote out instructions and diagrams for this a few years ago. I have a printed copy of these notes, can scan them and email if you want them. Does anyone else have them scanned and available already?

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard