Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Lark VIII 259 Engine Color

Hello fellas.
    I was wondering if any of you found this color scheme odd. The 259 from our 1960 Lark VIII convertible has a gold (almost gone and replaced with surface rust) fan blade and the heads/block/timing chain are silverish green including the heads. I did some searching here for what the OE color would be but the thread that started to help turned into a thread about rumble seats Anyway, can someone tell me why our fan is gold and why I cant find another fan on another persons V8 thats the same? My dad bought the car more than 28 years ago after it had been owned by some lady since new. And, when scrapping away some gold, there was no other evidence of color under it. So Im assuming it came this way.

The bigger question is, does anyone have the codes to buy paint for this engine? Or simply a really good picture of a 259 from 1960 or even a brocure showing a gold fan?

I can post a picture of the engines paint....Ill be back. For those who may wonder, our 259 was just completely rebuilt but now needs paint before installing it.

Thanks for any information!!!!

Michael

1960 Studebaker Lark VIII convertible.

quote:Originally posted by 944-LT1

Thanks for any information!!!!

Michael

This was more or less covered on a previous thread:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...0,engine,color

Craig

Comment

Thanks for the link. Dont know why I couldnt find that one. Thats why i made my topic title so precise. Easier for the next guy.

From the engine the numbers are: 535601 on the left sife of the oil fill tube and on the right side of the fill tube is the number V49627I. On the rear of the engine is stamped 46 0. I have no idea on how to decode these numbers but would love to know.

Comment

Here's a chart of engine numbers (some errors)...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_v8data.asp

Looks like a '60 259.

The paint on the picture you posted looks silver to me...not gold. Might be the lighting? I believe the fan blades were originally silver like the engine block, but I'm not sure.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Comment

Wow thanks. Yeah, the color is not really good on the picture thats why I took another with the silver/aluminum FOM internals in the background.

I think I will repaint it gold.

Comment

The engine color should be silver grey with black valve covers and black electrical components. See the article in the 8/90 Turning Wheels. The fan on my 60 convertible is yellow, but it has been repainted and I'm not sure that was the original color.

Comment

Here are the CORRECT colors per the above noted link to an earlier post to answer another 1960 engine color question.

QUOTE: "The Aluminum Silver goes on the complete Engine Bellhousing and Trans., including oil pan, intake & water manifolds fan, fan pulley and spacer except Black valve covers on either 2 or 4 hole hole covers, semi-gloss black oil cap, Gen, Starter, Dist. and Air Cleaner."

The Exhaust Manifolds were bare iron, later to become rust! But you can use Eastwood Cast Iron gray to keep them from rusting, at least for awhile!

Your fan was Aluminum Silver before being blasted by the incoming from the radiator! [:0]

I can see however, that we are all wasting our time here!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:I can see however, that we are all wasting our time here!
                  Why? Thanks everyone.

Comment

That would be because you asked what was correct, and then painted it wrong! [?][?]

quote:Originally posted by 944-LT1

Why?
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Oh no. I havent painted anything yet. I just wondered if it meant anything being gold and to keep its originality, maybe I should repaint it with gold. Maybe it was in a showroom to show off the new lark convertibles and they wanted the fan gold for some reason and maybe one of the guys here would say yes thats the case or it was gold becuase it was this and that.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 944-LT1 View Post
                        Oh no. I havent painted anything yet. I just wondered if it meant anything being gold and to keep its originality, maybe I should repaint it with gold. Maybe it was in a showroom to show off the new lark convertibles and they wanted the fan gold for some reason and maybe one of the guys here would say yes thats the case or it was gold becuase it was this and that.

Thanks!

I know this is an old posting, but I am running into a similar situation with gold paint appearing on my '57 Hawk's major engine components; there is no evidence of any other base color - such as turquoise (that just about everyone says is "correct" and should be on there). The gold paint I have found is old and appears to be original. I would have thought that anyone rebuilding this engine back then - there is no evidence it has ever been pulled - would have simply painted over any turquoise, leaving some evidence of its existence. I am wondering - as were you - if there was any experimentation with gold paint schemes on engine assemblies or components in the late 1950s or early 1960s on some Studebakers?

Comment

Working...
                        X