Canadian motor in LA built Stude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian motor in LA built Stude?

That '55 Commander I picked up recently is an LA built car...

The motor number is VL4554...which (I think) indicates a Canadian motor. The motor in the car shows no signs of being replaced or tampered with...still has its original paint, etc. In fact, I'm beginning to believe the odometer may be showing the actual miles on this car (31,000).

Is it possible that the LA factory used BOTH Canadian and South Bend motors in their production?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Nope, a VL is a 259 Los Angeles Built engine. VC is Canada.
    1955's start at VL-101 and 1956 Commander 259 starts at VL-6301.

Strangely, there are NO L.A. built 224 engines, all of the L.A. built early '55's had South Bend "V" numbered 224 engines! [:0]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, Rich.

I got the VL=Canadian here...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_v8data.asp

I know you have pointed out other problems with this data. Anybody have an idea how we can fix the errors?

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

@Studerich,

Beside having a longer engine serial number by one letter (P/VL), was there actually some internal difference between a late year '55 VL 259 and the P series 259's? Just curious about used parts sources.

Paul

In memory of Boris, the 1950 Land Cruiser project,
        . . . he became a down payment for. . .
        Natasha, the 1955 Speedster project

I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
        1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

The "P" serial 259's were the "Passmaster" engines used on the Presidents and Speedsters and had a slightly higher advertised HP, do to minor external changes like model of 4 brl. Carb. (maybe Heads) if anything, and mostly a need to make it higher rated by about 4 HP than a lowly Commander!

quote:Originally posted by 3rdGenStude

@Studerich,
          Beside having a longer engine serial number by one letter (P/VL), was there actually some internal difference between a late year '55 VL 259 and the P series 259's? Just curious about used parts sources. Paul
          StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I got the VL=Canadian here...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_v8data.asp

I know you have pointed out other problems with this data. Anybody have an idea how we can fix the errors?

That V/8 tech data, as well as the 6 data, was some of the stuff I inherited and reused from the old site. I have no idea where it came from originally.

It would be a tremendous service if ANYONE wanted to go over that list and privately send me corrected info, additional numbers, or things that needs to be deleted I will GLADLY update the page.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
            Woodbury, Minnesota
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota
            1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
            "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BShaw

It would be a tremendous service if ANYONE wanted to go over that list and privately send me corrected info, additional numbers, or things that needs to be deleted I will GLADLY update the page.[/b]
              StudeRich is the man!

How 'bout it Rich?

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm willing to start nibbling away at correcting the list, since I have most of the required books. However, if someone else wants to split the job with me, it'll go much faster -- especially since the weather is finally nice enough to work on cars outside, and I'll only be doing this task on rainy days . . . .

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                X