are all 170 champion 6's the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are all 170 champion 6's the same?

finally found a good running flat head 170 which was last in a 1954 car. was wondering if it would be the same as my 1960 170 flat head and would in interchange in my 1960 champ pickup? thanks guys

It will work but some accessories will have to be swapped to it like the truck bellhousing and starter etc.
    The pre-1959 169.6(170) has smaller main bearings than later ones.
    The reason I'm told, the bearings were enlarged for 55-58 185's and the larger bearings were retained for the 59-60 Champion flatheads.

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28

59 Lark
    etc

Comment

Anyone know why they went back to the 170 displacement in '59? Did they decide to shorten the stroke back to where it was so it could rev higher in the new Larks? (just a guess)

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
      Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon
      Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon
      Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

well the motor I found has a car 3 speed with overdrive attached. will the trans work in my truck? mine current transmission is just a plain 3 speed with no overdrive

Comment

You should know that the bellhousing from a post 54 Champion six will not fit your engine. When the stroke was increased in 55 the back of the block was modified. I ran into this problem with an engine once. The parts are probably out there to make this work, but I don't have that info.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

so you are saying that if this is a pre 55 motor my 60 bell housing will not bolt up? can I bolt my 60 tranny to a pre 55 bell housing? or can I use the car 3 speed overdrive tranny Im getting with the motor in my truck?

Comment

Can you get the engine serial number? It should be stamped on a pad on the front left side of the block. You said the engine was last in a 54 Car, question is what was it in before???

I think what changed was the motor plate that bolts to the back of block.
              I dont have the early parts books to verify but later sixes have been adapted to earlier cars so the reverse should, should be true also.

You could just use the 54 engine and tranny together but I think there is an steering box clearance issue which is why the truck starter is on the passenger side. You have to use the 6volt starter with the 6volt flywheel or 12volt starter with 12 volt flywheel. The starters and flywheels have different size and number of teeth depending on 6volt or 12 volt.

The shift arms on the tranny may have to be swapped or modified.
              The 54 car transmission should have the same style fixed yoke output as the truck tranny. You may or may not have to shorten/lengthen the short drive shaft to the carrier bearing.

3E38
              4E2
              4E28
              5E13
              7E7
              8E7
              8E12
              8E28

59 Lark
              etc

Comment

dont know what it came out of , the number on the pad is 782896. the back of the block looks identical to my 60 170.

Comment

Check to see what model of transmission you have. Most six cylinder cars came with T-96 trannies (number should be cast into side of case).
                  This T-96 is barely adequate for cars.

I would go with the original tranny and keep an eye out for a truck T90B od.
                  These were used in 1963-64 trucks behind OHV 170's and on earlier trucks as well.

And on the engine number , is that a stamped number??

3E38
                  4E2
                  4E28
                  5E13
                  7E7
                  8E7
                  8E12
                  8E28

59 Lark
                  etc

Comment

There is a steel plate bolted to the back of the engine. The bellhousing bolts to this plate. the two must be compatible. If you want to keep the truck trans, you must use the plate from the truck. A car engine and trans. combo can be used in a truck,but is not a bolt in swap. It will take some modifing. NT

Neil Thornton
                    Hazlehurst, GA
                    '57 Silver Hawk
                    '56 Sky Hawk
                    '51 2R16 dump truck
                    Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

well I found out that the good motor I found Is an early model motor with small mainbearings and my 1960 model bell housing will not bolt up to my motor. wondering if I can use the early car bell housing, starter and flywheel and my late model truck tranny? if not I'm back to looking for parts I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X