Scam emails continue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam emails continue

One or more of these people continue to pester our forum. They are using valid email addresses and correctly answering the security question to get a valid registration. Then, they are using the "Email Member" feature to send out their phishing mail. Each registration is a new IP address so it can't be blocked.

Two more registered last night and started doing the same thing. One of our members received an email yesterday that simply had a "helo" in the body rather than tip their hand with the whole scam email. Watch out for their little tricks like this.

If this continues much longer I may not have a choice but to turn off the "Email Member" feature. I'd hate to have to resort to that as I know many of you use it. Another option for forum members who are getting these is to individually turn off their own "Allow email" feature in their Profile.

At some point these people will surely give up and move on. Until then just delete the dang things if you get them.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

quote:Originally posted by BShaw

One or more of these people continue to pester our forum. They are using valid email addresses and correctly answering the security question to get a valid registration. Then, they are using the "Email Member" feature to send out their phishing mail. Each registration is a new IP address so it can't be blocked.

Two more registered last night and started doing the same thing. One of our members received an email yesterday that simply had a "helo" in the body rather than tip their hand with the whole scam email. Watch out for their little tricks like this.

If this continues much longer I may not have a choice but to turn off the "Email Member" feature. I'd hate to have to resort to that as I know many of you use it. Another option for forum members who are getting these is to individually turn off their own "Allow email" feature in their Profile.

At some point these people will surely give up and move on. Until then just delete the dang things if you get them.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Bob, a thought might be, if the fourm software will allow it, to not allow new members to have the capability of "Email Member" until they have been registered for a certain period of time, and/or have made a certain number of posts. My guess is spammers/scammers want to post immediately and will not come back after two weeks or make 5 posts just to have the email capability.

Paul
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

quote:
      Bob, a thought might be, if the fourm software will allow it, to not allow new members to have the capability of "Email Member" until they have been registered for a certain period of time, and/or have made a certain number of posts. My guess is spammers/scammers want to post immediately and will not come back after two weeks or make 5 posts just to have the email capability.

Paul
      Might also be useful in keeping out the ads and occasional stupid remarks, offers, and questions from "surfers" ("I just inhertited my Grandfathers 69 Studebaker, what's it worth, dude?") and other people with no real SDC connection or interest.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

Might also be useful in keeping out the ads and occasional stupid remarks, offers, and questions from "surfers" ("I just inhertited my Grandfathers 69 Studebaker, what's it worth, dude?") and other people with no real SDC connection or interest.
        Ouch! You just described my first post(s) almost to a "T"... including no real SDC connection or interest....

Just think, if you'd been here and thought of that back then, you could have run me off and saved me a LOT of Stude addiction[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

Ouch! You just described my first post(s) almost to a "T"... including no real SDC connection or interest....

Just think, if you'd been here and thought of that back then, you could have run me off and saved me a LOT of Stude addiction[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT
          Ha Ha Bob! Way too late for you now, buddy. [}] Why you've even got a Stude Truck.

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BShaw

[b]If this continues much longer I may not have a choice but to turn off the "Email Member" feature.
            I don't think this will be necessary. Past being slightly annoying, they don't hurt anything. They're like a cold- they just have to run their course and they'll fade away... till next time...

You instructed us on how to deal with them (don't respond), and most of us already knew that.

Thank you; we'll read and heed

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

I think R1Lark has an excellent idea. Spammers definitely don't have any patience, so won't come back to spam weeks after registering. And people who want to join will continue to read (can they post?) until the waiting time is over. I read this forum for many months before joining. No sweat.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I agree, email probation. Maybe even a little basic Stude test. I've seen legitimate first question posters not have enough patience to come back and read what help we offered after the first day and that's just in the last three months. Most of you folks have seen it all, I'm sure..

Comment

Working...
                X