Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our '62 GT isn't in Kansas any more, Toto...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our '62 GT isn't in Kansas any more, Toto...

...and it certainly isn't in 1978, either...YEOW!

Another interesting item in the May 2008 Hemmings Muscle Machines is a report of the collector-car auction at Hershey PA last fall. (No, I don't know why this was in Hemmings Muscle Machines instead of Hemmings Classic Car.)

Anyway, sold at the auction was what the writer described as a #4 -#4, MIND YOU- 1962 Gran Turismo Hawk. The entire description below the postage-stamp photo of this ordinary-looking '62 Hawk reads:

"Despite what some might say, a Hawk with a Stude 289 could run with the best of them in 1962. We've even seen Studebakers blow off Chevelles in drag racing events. [Now where did they see that?]

The seller proclaimed this car was a matching-numbers [??] Arizona car, where it remained until 2007. Coupled to the 289 was a Flight-o-Matic transmission. The white paint seemed decent, although there were paint chips and a crack on the top of the passenger's side quarter panel.

There was some minor rust on the driver's side lower quarter panel and the trunk lid fit was terrible. Supposedly the car was restored, but it must have been some time ago."

And at what figure did the above-described Hawk hammer down? $17,500 - SOLD! [:0][:0] You betcha! YOWZERS! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That is encouraging and I bet it didn't have floors like mine.

I am thinking I may have more equity in my '62 GT than I do my house. [V]

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

You bet, Gary! Studebaker folks can read between the lines of that description [:0] and gasp while clutching their chests when they see that selling price. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Seems a shame to cover that floor. Maybe someone makes a clear carpet.

Lark Parker
        If at first you don't succeed -- you will get a lot of advice.
        sigpic
        Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

I think this was the car that was at the auction at Hershey last fall. Did it look like this?

Doesn't look like a screamer to me!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark Parker

Seems a shame to cover that floor. Maybe someone makes a clear carpet.
            The benefits of a California car. Even after shipping it back to Virginia, I was far ahead of the game than if I started with a rusty one (not that this one needed work .

Comment

I'm sure that's the car, Leonard, judging from several details such as stickers on the windshield and such.

Only in the Hemmings photo, it's parked in a Handicapped Space (seriously). I wonder if that means anything? [:0] BP

Comment

Don't let JDP see that white paint behind the grille...he will go off! [:0]

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Don't let JDP see that white paint behind the grille...he will go off! [:0]

Leonard Shepherd
                  Way to go Len... know you let the cat out of the bag!! [}]

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Too late. I may have to carry around a rattle can and fix it on the spot. BTW, I may have to step up from ebay with that kind of pricing.

JDP/Maryland
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

BTW, I may have to step up from ebay with that kind of pricing.

JDP/Maryland
                      [:0] UH-OH. Be looking for The John Poulos Studebaker Emporium tent at next year's Fall Hershey Meet. Large, Circle-S balloons wafting overhead, bi-planes circling the show field with banners unfurled on auction day, etc, etc....BP

Comment

Can I have pretty girls handing out fliers in Bikini's too. ?

JDP/Maryland
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Can I have pretty girls handing out fliers in Bikinis too? ]

JDP/Maryland
                          [] Good idea, John...but only if they will be holding plates of free hot wings in the other hand.

(In fact, why not just hire the entire off-duty shift from a local Hooters? I'm sure plenty of fellas on the forum would offer to stop by and help out with the logistics of getting them all organized and out & about on the show field, cooking hot wings, restocking hand-outs, applying suntan lotion, etc... Why, there will probably be several volunteers posting here before the day is out...) BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

I am thinking I may have more equity in my '62 GT than I do my house. [V]
                            Gary, I noticed you rarely talk about good times had with your vehicles, or how enjoyable they are to drive, or how well they serve you... just how much they're worth[xx(] I love not only how different they look from modern stuff, but how they feel, and how they sound, even how they smell, including the moldy old unrestored stuff[^] You can bet, I'd have that Avanti poised at the door, ready for the salt to be off my roads- right next to the GT[8D]

This stuff may just be investments to you, and there's nothing wrong with that; I'm just saying, I hope you get a chance to enjoy your many vehicles for what they are too, just not what you could sell them for

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Bob,

I rarely spend time with my vehicles....[xx(]. In fact, i just got home from work. That is part of the reason I have been selling off some of my excess inventory. I do get the GT out on occasion, all my others are stored away from home.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X