International "Drive Your Studebaker Day"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International "Drive Your Studebaker Day"

I was going to hold off from posting this for a while, but I'll say it now as there seems to be a lot of interest in Bob Pamla's thread.

I've been contacted by Mr. Shaw to follow up on an idea that Gary Ash had proposed. I'm leading up an International "Drive Your Studebaker Day" project. I'll figure out the best date to do this, probably Spring of 2009, and on that day, people across the globe will drive their Studes. Whether it be to the store around the corner, or SDC Chapters host an event around it. The members of SDC in general need to get their Studes out and drive them as much as possible, get them in the public eye, get more SDC members, and have fun doing it. And just imagine SO MANY Studes on the road at one time on a particular day. I'll do my best to get the event publicized as much as possible; through various magazines and what not. So, what ya think, guys and gals? Any help, tips, or ideas will be greatly appreciated. [8D]

Let's do it! [^]

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Sounds great to me! Let us know what we can do to help.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Good idea. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The fourth of July sounds good, but I don't think it's a good idea. Too many people will be distracted by other things to notice our cars.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Thanks for volunteering to lead this worthy new SDC event, Matt. I'll help any way I can, as I'm sure many on the forum will.

Folks, one of the ways we can help Matt is to not overwhelm him at this very early stage in the planning. After all, he still has a couple of months of school and that comes first.

And Matt... enough with the "Mr. Shaw". I'm just plain "Bob"

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
          Woodbury, Minnesota
          sigpic
          Bob Shaw
          Rush City, Minnesota
          1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
          "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BShaw

And Matt... enough with the "Mr. Shaw". I'm just plain "Bob"

BShaw,Webmaster
            But there are so many other 'Bobs' here- it's getting really hard to keep track of all you guys otherwise!!!

I agree with the Fourth not being a good day- most Clubs are already out and about in a parade or two~ who would notice [?] [?] [?]

StudeDave [8D]
            V/P San Diego County SDC
            San Diego, Ca

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
            '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
            '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
            '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
            '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
            '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

A Great Idea!! Thanks for taking this on Matt. I am willing to help as needed. If this is to be worldwide, I would suggest a day in early spring (April?) so that our friends on the bottom side of the planet can also drive their Stude's without having to cope with "winter" weather.

It will also be important to advertise this in TW as well as sending out a note to all Chapters. It was good planning to think about 2009 in order to give lots of time to get the word out to everyone.

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar
              3E-6/7-122
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

YES!! I love this idea!! Maybe I will see one other than mine on the road on that day here! One of the best ideas I have heard in a long time. But I have to agree, not on the fourth. EVERYONE who owns any car older than 40 years usually drives theirs anyway on that day. Most people would just think, "Oh look, another Classic car! Must be going to a parade!" They probably wouldn't think to try to figure out the make.

She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

Comment

I drove mine yesterday. Took Pete and went to give platelets, then went on to load up some fenceposts and a few bags of fertilizer.
                  I got interrogated about Pete 3 times in the course of our foray. Once at the blood bank, once as we parked in front of Lowes and the third time while cruising along at about 30MPH! Oh! And there was this gal[:X] that said "Sharp truck!" as I was loading the fenceposts.

We'll drive any day you say, Matt![^]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Easter Sunday!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I drove mine yesterday.
                      Mr. Biggs is famous for Studebakers in the greater Visalia area. I was leaving his place with the '63 Daytona I got from him headed to Highway 99. About 10-15 miles from his place on some back country roads (it wasn't EXACTLY the middle of nowhere...but you could see it from there [)])...this guy pulls up beside me and flags me over. I thought the car was falling off the trailer or something. I hop out of the truck and this guy is already out of his going ga ga over the Stude. He says "What is this and where did you get it"?...I tell him it's a 63 Studebaker and I just bought it from Bob Kabchef. He says "You mean 'ol StudeBob? Great guy. I shoulda guessed. If it's a Studebaker, Bob would have SOMETHING to do with it".

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Sounds like a plan, I had mine out for a test drive yesterday, rust and all Now I just need to get valid tags for it!

1947 Studebaker M-5
                        1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                        1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                        1947 Studebaker M-5
                        1946 Studebaker M-5
                        1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                        1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                        1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Yeah, Matt

A great idea! I know you'll keep us posted and let us know how we can help.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                          53 Starliner Hardtop
                          Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Well, I suppose a special day would be nice. Especailly if I could meet other stude-o-philes![8D] Still, it's 'Drive Your Stude Day' for me every day.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Re: July 4

Don't many of us drive them that day anyway?

In parades, as part of shows, or just as a day off?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X