X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW, what a Packard Hawk!

Look at this beauty:

May not be to everyone's taste, but I love the color combo[:X][8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Pretty car! Nice color combo... I'm not up on the Packard Hawks, what isn't original looking other than what is described during the restoration? Also, were the Packard serial number plates the same as the Studebaker plates? I confuse the serial number and the body stamp numbers for determining if it was the "388th" '58 Hawk made, or the 388th car total to that point off the line that year? Were Packard numbers kept completely different/separate from the Studebaker-Packard numbers for just Studebakers until '58?

Comment

Pretty car! Nice color combo... I'm not up on the Packard Hawks, what isn't original looking other than what is described during the restoration? Also, were the Packard serial number plates the same as the Studebaker plates? I confuse the serial number and the body stamp numbers for determining if it was the "388th" '58 Hawk made, or the 388th car total to that point off the line that year? Were Packard numbers kept completely different/separate from the Studebaker-Packard numbers for just Studebakers until '58?

Comment

Pretty car, and probably took a lot of work and money, but the odd things that hit me are;
        "meticulously restored" and white vinyl upholstery doesn't seem to ring correctly......and the interior installer either, didn't like what he was doing or didn't get paid enough..
        Four thousand rpm (non SW) tach? .. (extra boat equipment?)
        The elusive trunk mounted compressor/evaporator for an A/C system...must have a pretty large electric motor. Where are the controls?

Bob Johnstone
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Pretty car, and probably took a lot of work and money, but the odd things that hit me are;
          "meticulously restored" and white vinyl upholstery doesn't seem to ring correctly......and the interior installer either, didn't like what he was doing or didn't get paid enough..
          Four thousand rpm (non SW) tach? .. (extra boat equipment?)
          The elusive trunk mounted compressor/evaporator for an A/C system...must have a pretty large electric motor. Where are the controls?

Bob Johnstone
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

This car was in a three page feature in the December 2005 Auto Restorer. It was pretty much a parts car when he started with it. It had a body off renewal. It has a lot of non-Packard Hawk parts on it. I see a trunk spinner that is not the correct one. A radiator that is not the correct one. Wrong interior and AC. Wrong clock and tach. A couple of aux gauges under the dash. It does reflect a lot of work on this individual's part to make it a desireable auto.
            The Packard Hawks have a serial number on the driver's door jam like other S/P products of that era. The serial numbers all begin 58LS****. This car appears to be 58LS1388. THe first Packard Hawk was 58LS1001.
            The body number is the one on the firewall and really only indicates that this was the 390 body welded up. That is the body number not the serial number. This was originally an all parchment white car.
            Packard Hawks could be ordered with AC and they had the SuperCharger just like the non-AC cars. They had a combo generator with a PS pump on the rear of it. Just like many GM cars of that era. The Generator/PS unit was mounted on the driver's side where non-AC cars have a PS pump.

Mike

Comment

This car was in a three page feature in the December 2005 Auto Restorer. It was pretty much a parts car when he started with it. It had a body off renewal. It has a lot of non-Packard Hawk parts on it. I see a trunk spinner that is not the correct one. A radiator that is not the correct one. Wrong interior and AC. Wrong clock and tach. A couple of aux gauges under the dash. It does reflect a lot of work on this individual's part to make it a desireable auto.
              The Packard Hawks have a serial number on the driver's door jam like other S/P products of that era. The serial numbers all begin 58LS****. This car appears to be 58LS1388. THe first Packard Hawk was 58LS1001.
              The body number is the one on the firewall and really only indicates that this was the 390 body welded up. That is the body number not the serial number. This was originally an all parchment white car.
              Packard Hawks could be ordered with AC and they had the SuperCharger just like the non-AC cars. They had a combo generator with a PS pump on the rear of it. Just like many GM cars of that era. The Generator/PS unit was mounted on the driver's side where non-AC cars have a PS pump.

Mike

Comment

Pretty car alright, but as the rest of you point out - enough little mods to sink it in serious competition. Not that those mods bother ME, but a knowledgeable judge would be critical.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Pretty car alright, but as the rest of you point out - enough little mods to sink it in serious competition. Not that those mods bother ME, but a knowledgeable judge would be critical.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The P/H I once owned for 9yrs. had a VIN # 58LS1488.I believe the LS
                    differentiated it from Studebaker VIN's.
                    The interior was leather not vinyl only available in tan & a dark red almost maroon.
                    While we are nit picking the spinner on the deck-lid spare is wrong as it should only have 2 spinner type projections not 3 & the seal on the outer lip of the cotinental should be black.
                    The two add on gauges below the dash does that signify two in the dash are not functioning ?
                    It's one of two cars I sold over the years that I regret not keeping

Comment

The P/H I once owned for 9yrs. had a VIN # 58LS1488.I believe the LS
                      differentiated it from Studebaker VIN's.
                      The interior was leather not vinyl only available in tan & a dark red almost maroon.
                      While we are nit picking the spinner on the deck-lid spare is wrong as it should only have 2 spinner type projections not 3 & the seal on the outer lip of the cotinental should be black.
                      The two add on gauges below the dash does that signify two in the dash are not functioning ?
                      It's one of two cars I sold over the years that I regret not keeping

Comment

Hint to sellers of cars like that Packard Hawk: Add wide whites. Sal and I are stocking up on WW tires we find on Craig's list just for that purpose. They'll add to the curb appeal and you'll get more then your money back. Good, used, repro's tires show up for under $200 set now and then.

JDP/Maryland
                        64 R2 GT (Sid)
                        spent to date $62,839.60
                        63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                        63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

Comment

Hint to sellers of cars like that Packard Hawk: Add wide whites. Sal and I are stocking up on WW tires we find on Craig's list just for that purpose. They'll add to the curb appeal and you'll get more then your money back. Good, used, repro's tires show up for under $200 set now and then.

JDP/Maryland
                          64 R2 GT (Sid)
                          spent to date $62,839.60
                          63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                          63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Excellent point (especially to tire snobs like me <grin&gt. The Hawk is stunning, but would look sooooo much better (at least to me) with wide whites.

I'll be attending the Portland Swap meet in a couple of weeks. Coker tire will be there and I'll pick up the wide whites for the ute. Oregon doesn't have a sales tax and there is no delivery charge when buying direct from Coker at a show. Save big money! [^].

Anybody NOT going to Portland who needs some Coker tires who lives between Bellingham and Portland on I5 (or who can meet me at one of the exits), I'll pick up and bring the tires to you.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Excellent point (especially to tire snobs like me <grin&gt. The Hawk is stunning, but would look sooooo much better (at least to me) with wide whites.

I'll be attending the Portland Swap meet in a couple of weeks. Coker tire will be there and I'll pick up the wide whites for the ute. Oregon doesn't have a sales tax and there is no delivery charge when buying direct from Coker at a show. Save big money! [^].

Anybody NOT going to Portland who needs some Coker tires who lives between Bellingham and Portland on I5 (or who can meet me at one of the exits), I'll pick up and bring the tires to you.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X