No announcement yet.

Bob Bourke and painting the '55 grille.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know there is some controversy surrounding the attractiveness of the '55 front end. I, for one, have never been a big fan of that design.

I think it looks OK on a restored stocker...because that's the way they are SUPPOSED to look, plus you really don't have a choice if you are doing a "restoration".

To me, however, it just doesn't "fit" the rest of the car. It looks heavy, droopy, and "tacked on" to an otherwise nice shape. It just isn't integrated into the total design of the car. The hood went from a highpoint of the overall design to something that didn't even fit well with the new grill, let alone with the overall design of the rest of the car. I know Studebaker had to "freshen" the look of the 55's so something like this was inevitable, and maybe it was accepted in the day and helped them sell cars in 1955. Today, the '55's are logically held up against the 53's and 54's from a styling standpoint and IMHO, it was a pretty big step backwards (in retrospect).

I think the picture Hippie posted is as nice a modified '55 as I have ever seen. The painted grill and headlight surrounds help a lot. The grill insert is nicely done. I understand I'm a little prejudice , but to me it still not as nice a front end design as the 53-54's.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I know there is some controversy surrounding the attractiveness of the '55 front end...
      What oratorical diplomacy.
      Are you running for office out there, Dick? [:0]
      You certainly have a firm grip on the primary qualification. [}] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I know there is some controversy surrounding the attractiveness of the '55 front end...
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have to agree with you, Dick. The 55 grill was an attempt to enter the "most chrome" contest, and it failed miserably. I'm casting about (mentally) for an insert to replace the wing that came in mine. I thought of the egg crate 58 Buick, but the re-chrome cost would be prohibitive on my low budget project. I do like that silver one.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe
          '55 President State Sedan
          (Under Construction) 136 hrs.
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

I have to agree with you, Dick. The 55 grill was an attempt to enter the "most chrome" contest, and it failed miserably. I'm casting about (mentally) for an insert to replace the wing that came in mine. I thought of the egg crate 58 Buick, but the re-chrome cost would be prohibitive on my low budget project. I do like that silver one.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '55 President State Sedan
            (Under Construction) 136 hrs.
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
              For some reason, there are WAY too many political speeches in the news these days . Unfortunately, they must be affecting my ability to post in my USUAL style [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                For some reason, there are WAY too many political speeches in the news these days . Unfortunately, they must be affecting my ability to post in my USUAL style [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

I could not disown a '55, any more than I could disown my grandmother. She was no looker, but I loved her, just the same.

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
                  I'm with Studedude, I know she's the "ugly duckling" of the C/K cars but she's mine. I wanted a '53-'54 but I could never touch one in the condition mine is in for what I gave for mine and, love it or hate it, the '55 DOES stand out in a crowd.

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

I could not disown a '55, any more than I could disown my grandmother. She was no looker, but I loved her, just the same.

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
                    I'm with Studedude, I know she's the "ugly duckling" of the C/K cars but she's mine. I wanted a '53-'54 but I could never touch one in the condition mine is in for what I gave for mine and, love it or hate it, the '55 DOES stand out in a crowd.

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

As you may have guess from my signon, 55s, 55s are a passion.

Diplomacy aside, the gloves are off:

(1) according to several Studebaker mechanics, 55s were one of the best years of manufacture as far as quality goes.
                      (2) 55s had the updated brakes
                      (3) 55s had the updated wiring
                      (4) 55s had the Airplane-like Sabre styling, like some planes, and like it or not (including the longer production year) outsold many other years
                      (5) 55s introduced the butter-knife stainless on the side, which adds at least 5 mph.
                      (6) 55s saw the introduction of the Speedster, arguably the first performance Hawk
                      (7) 55s saw a heavier frame introduced
                      (8) 55s saw plush interiors designed by expert designers
                      (9) When I last looked, the car value guides rated 55s higher in value than their 53-54 counterparts.
                      (10) IMHO, even though black 53s look cool, they just don't look like a Lemon-Lime Speedster.

Thank God we all have different tastes! (Oh, and by the way, I also have a beautifully designed Packard Hawk)

Call me 55s - Paul R

Comment

As you may have guess from my signon, 55s, 55s are a passion.

Diplomacy aside, the gloves are off:

(1) according to several Studebaker mechanics, 55s were one of the best years of manufacture as far as quality goes.
                        (2) 55s had the updated brakes
                        (3) 55s had the updated wiring
                        (4) 55s had the Airplane-like Sabre styling, like some planes, and like it or not (including the longer production year) outsold many other years
                        (5) 55s introduced the butter-knife stainless on the side, which adds at least 5 mph.
                        (6) 55s saw the introduction of the Speedster, arguably the first performance Hawk
                        (7) 55s saw a heavier frame introduced
                        (8) 55s saw plush interiors designed by expert designers
                        (9) When I last looked, the car value guides rated 55s higher in value than their 53-54 counterparts.
                        (10) IMHO, even though black 53s look cool, they just don't look like a Lemon-Lime Speedster.

Thank God we all have different tastes! (Oh, and by the way, I also have a beautifully designed Packard Hawk)

Call me 55s - Paul R

Comment

POST SCRIPT

By the way, whats wrong with excessive chrome, unless you have to replate it?? (Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.)

55s Paul R.

Comment

POST SCRIPT

By the way, whats wrong with excessive chrome, unless you have to replate it?? (Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.)

55s Paul R.

Comment

That silver '55 is sweet! About as nice as any '55 I have ever seen. And I think the eggcrate insert is the perfect finishing touch. It eliminates the "fishmouth" look and predicts the Hawk grill to come.

Steve Hudson
                              The Dalles, Oregon
                              1937 Dictator Flatback sedan (for sale)
                              1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                              1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                              1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
                              1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
                              1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
                              The Dalles, Oregon
                              1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                              1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

That silver '55 is sweet! About as nice as any '55 I have ever seen. And I think the eggcrate insert is the perfect finishing touch. It eliminates the "fishmouth" look and predicts the Hawk grill to come.

Steve Hudson
                                The Dalles, Oregon
                                1937 Dictator Flatback sedan (for sale)
                                1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                                1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
                                1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
                                1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
                                The Dalles, Oregon
                                1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                                1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Working...
                                X