No announcement yet.

63 Lark Clock...I'm clueless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A fellow I recently talked to converted the clock in his hawk to a battery powered works like people build small clocks with. He just put the new works in using the original face and hands and it looks stock. He said it keeps perfect time and he just pops in a new AA battery once a year. It has the added benefit of not stopping if you disconnect the car's battery.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

A fellow I recently talked to converted the clock in his hawk to a battery powered works like people build small clocks with. He just put the new works in using the original face and hands and it looks stock. He said it keeps perfect time and he just pops in a new AA battery once a year. It has the added benefit of not stopping if you disconnect the car's battery.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I almost tried the AA battery thing, too, seems great; but after talking to that clock repair guy (AA's are kind of blasphemous to him on a vintage clock) and appreciating the inner workings of my Borg clock, it suddenly was like dropping a Toyota engine in my Lark...it might give me less trouble, but.. IMHO some things should have a chance to come back to life properly for a Studebaker, and dash. A working clock is the primary goal, so whatever makes it tick...sorry, lame! Anyway, batteries, quartz, like everything else, whatever makes you and your car happy.

Comment

I almost tried the AA battery thing, too, seems great; but after talking to that clock repair guy (AA's are kind of blasphemous to him on a vintage clock) and appreciating the inner workings of my Borg clock, it suddenly was like dropping a Toyota engine in my Lark...it might give me less trouble, but.. IMHO some things should have a chance to come back to life properly for a Studebaker, and dash. A working clock is the primary goal, so whatever makes it tick...sorry, lame! Anyway, batteries, quartz, like everything else, whatever makes you and your car happy.

Comment

I finally installed the NOS clock I bought twenty-five years ago for my '53 last week. A little shot from a 6-volt battery and it ticks its heart out for about four minutes. That's sweet!

The car's being converted to 12-volt so I installed a voltage drop from Randy Rundle at Fifth Avenue Auto.

Should be ready to install the dash in the car in a couple weeks.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I finally installed the NOS clock I bought twenty-five years ago for my '53 last week. A little shot from a 6-volt battery and it ticks its heart out for about four minutes. That's sweet!

The car's being converted to 12-volt so I installed a voltage drop from Randy Rundle at Fifth Avenue Auto.

Should be ready to install the dash in the car in a couple weeks.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

I think it was GTim that posted about sitting in a quiet garage and hearing the clock tick, then periodically clunk and rewind when the spring winds down and the points close. NOS (Neat Old Sounds). [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

I think it was GTim that posted about sitting in a quiet garage and hearing the clock tick, then periodically clunk and rewind when the spring winds down and the points close. NOS (Neat Old Sounds). [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Exactly...

Comment

Exactly...

Comment

Working...
                      X