Are All The Cars Restored??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are All The Cars Restored??

Two people mentioned to me that they had never seen so much sheet metal in one place as there was this past York. One had a feeling that "all the cars that will be built, are built". He feels that at this point in time you simply cannot afford to restore a car as prices have sky rocketed, and that the sheet metal that showed up, will now just sit until needed for insurance work.

Just an idea that was discussed today as we worked on the Hawk.

Well, I still have a 64 ragtop to do. And my Avanti needs to be re painted.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52 Ragtop

Jim,

I wish that you were at York as I had NOS front fenders, a NOS hood and 2 good doors for a '64 convertible. If Bob Palma ever comes this way again, I can send them back with him.

Gary

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52 Ragtop

Jim,

I wish that you were at York as I had NOS front fenders, a NOS hood and 2 good doors for a '64 convertible. If Bob Palma ever comes this way again, I can send them back with him.

Gary

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

There was a great selection there, and Heiples only brought half of what they usually do.

I've seen no dearth in new projects. What I could have done for $5000 twenty years ago now costs $20,000. And, ten years from now will cost...?

I guess the message is, if you have a goal it requires action sooner, rather than later.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There was a great selection there, and Heiples only brought half of what they usually do.

I've seen no dearth in new projects. What I could have done for $5000 twenty years ago now costs $20,000. And, ten years from now will cost...?

I guess the message is, if you have a goal it requires action sooner, rather than later.
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

In the past year or two more than one old car guy has said to me that the price of restoration is now so high that the current project will be the last project.
                On the other hand, this is being said by car guys who are middle-aged (like a lot of us), not younger hobbyists. On the next hand (?), the are a lot fewer younger hobbyists, so there may be a shred of truth in the opinion that there will be fewer future restorations.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                47 M-5
                Izzer Buggy
                Junior Wagon
                Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

In the past year or two more than one old car guy has said to me that the price of restoration is now so high that the current project will be the last project.
                  On the other hand, this is being said by car guys who are middle-aged (like a lot of us), not younger hobbyists. On the next hand (?), the are a lot fewer younger hobbyists, so there may be a shred of truth in the opinion that there will be fewer future restorations.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                  47 M-5
                  Izzer Buggy
                  Junior Wagon
                  Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                  61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                  Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                  Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

No, not even close. In fact, I submit that it will never happen. There will always be forgotten barn finds turning up, just as there are today. Right now somewhere there are decent restored or original cars going into storage, and due to death or just apathy they will be abandoned and forgotten for 10, 20, 40, whatever number years.

My r2 Super Lark was a victim of just this type of scenario; parked in the back of a big barn and eventually hidden by farm equipment and hay bales. It's just what I wanted- red/red 4-spd., straight and solid- really well preserved! And amazingly, less than a half-hour from my home!!

I hope to go after it in the very near future. I'd go tomorrow, but it hasn't turned up yet... but I'm sure it's out there

Anyway- there will always be motivation- and therefore money- for cars to be restored. I think the sheet metal sellers are more interested in avoiding packing and shipping it. Most anything else is easy to sell on eBay.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

No, not even close. In fact, I submit that it will never happen. There will always be forgotten barn finds turning up, just as there are today. Right now somewhere there are decent restored or original cars going into storage, and due to death or just apathy they will be abandoned and forgotten for 10, 20, 40, whatever number years.

My r2 Super Lark was a victim of just this type of scenario; parked in the back of a big barn and eventually hidden by farm equipment and hay bales. It's just what I wanted- red/red 4-spd., straight and solid- really well preserved! And amazingly, less than a half-hour from my home!!

I hope to go after it in the very near future. I'd go tomorrow, but it hasn't turned up yet... but I'm sure it's out there

Anyway- there will always be motivation- and therefore money- for cars to be restored. I think the sheet metal sellers are more interested in avoiding packing and shipping it. Most anything else is easy to sell on eBay.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

I still need some sheet metal for the Daytona due to minor collision damage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1826.83)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I still need some sheet metal for the Daytona due to minor collision damage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1826.83)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The swap meets are where the sheet metal shows up. Folks who can't make the trip need to network with their local Chapter members. Someone knows someone who's going. Someone knows someone who has the steel.

Anyone need pistine hood sides for a '32 Rockne 65? I've got'em!
                            Brad Johnson,
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The swap meets are where the sheet metal shows up. Folks who can't make the trip need to network with their local Chapter members. Someone knows someone who's going. Someone knows someone who has the steel.

Anyone need pistine hood sides for a '32 Rockne 65? I've got'em!
                              Brad Johnson,
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X