V8 vs 6 cyl. repentance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 vs 6 cyl. repentance

OK, so I'm the son of a gun who started the fight about the V8 vs 6 argument. I'm also here to tell you that I've had a chance to drive the flat 6 powered wagon around town. Now this is what these cars are made for. I'm sure that in 1957, you didn't have too many traffic patterns moving along Route 66 at 80 mph. Virtually all the driving being done at the time was in and around town. Well, I can tell you that this car handled that beautifully. I'm still not crazy about the lack of power, but this car drove well, handled comfortably, and stopped on a dime every time. And to top it off, I still got all the thumbs up and the lookers as they drove by and waved. This was a much nicer experience than the terror on the freeway last week.
    6 cylinders RULE ! ! ! ( just not above 60 mph )
    sals54

My first couple of cars were VW Beetles... (horizontally opposed 4 cylinders) - so when I first drove an inline 6 (a 185 flathead in a '58 Transtar), it seemed like a powerhouse. Everything is relative!

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

My first couple of cars were VW Beetles... (horizontally opposed 4 cylinders) - so when I first drove an inline 6 (a 185 flathead in a '58 Transtar), it seemed like a powerhouse. Everything is relative!

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar
      3E-6/7-122
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar
        3E-6/7-122
        </h5>

I know what you mean; for years, I drove a Toyota RAV-4 with a 4-cylinder engine, so when I got a chance to drive a Stude Champion with the original inline 6, it felt like I'd upgraded from a donkey to a Thoroughbred! Then, when I got that '61 Cruiser with the V-8, that was like upgrading to a cheetah. Even the flathead six handles hills better than a four-cylinder.

pitbulllady

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar
          3E-6/7-122
          </h5>

I know what you mean; for years, I drove a Toyota RAV-4 with a 4-cylinder engine, so when I got a chance to drive a Stude Champion with the original inline 6, it felt like I'd upgraded from a donkey to a Thoroughbred! Then, when I got that '61 Cruiser with the V-8, that was like upgrading to a cheetah. Even the flathead six handles hills better than a four-cylinder.

pitbulllady

Comment

I learned to drive on my mom's Renault Encore with the 1.4 liter four-cylinder... everything since then has been an improvement! I don't think I have ever driven such a dangerously underpowered car... I think it had something like 60 horsepower; just didn't do the job pulling the hills of western PA.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I learned to drive on my mom's Renault Encore with the 1.4 liter four-cylinder... everything since then has been an improvement! I don't think I have ever driven such a dangerously underpowered car... I think it had something like 60 horsepower; just didn't do the job pulling the hills of western PA.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                N8,

I remember those.....but never had one. Those were a couple steps up in the Renault pecking order from the famous "LeCar", right? (Never had one of those either......)

Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  N8,

I remember those.....but never had one. Those were a couple steps up in the Renault pecking order from the famous "LeCar", right? (Never had one of those either......)

Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I had just the opposite experience. I learned to drive in my fathers 68 Pontiac with 350+ hp. He took it away from me after I gunned it and fishtailed it into a ditch...three months after he let me drive it daily. Pretty much everything after that has felt underpowered.

She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

Comment

I had just the opposite experience. I learned to drive in my fathers 68 Pontiac with 350+ hp. He took it away from me after I gunned it and fishtailed it into a ditch...three months after he let me drive it daily. Pretty much everything after that has felt underpowered.

She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

Comment

I used to drive a 61 Metropolitan daily. About as powerful as 2 gerbils running on a wheel

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Comment

I used to drive a 61 Metropolitan daily. About as powerful as 2 gerbils running on a wheel

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Comment

I agree with Sal here. I had a 54 Champion Starliner to drive awhile back. Dang thing was right pleasant around town. Even had a soothing exhaust note. Probably sent a few folks to their chiroprator to have the kinks taken out of their necks![}]

Sometimes - goin' slow let's 'em get a better look at ya![]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I agree with Sal here. I had a 54 Champion Starliner to drive awhile back. Dang thing was right pleasant around town. Even had a soothing exhaust note. Probably sent a few folks to their chiroprator to have the kinks taken out of their necks![}]

Sometimes - goin' slow let's 'em get a better look at ya![]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X