Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a scam?

https://cars.trovit.com/listing/1950...o.1V1uR8jw1G1u

I have been seeking to buy a '50 or '51 Champion coupe in very good condition and came across this ad. It appears to be in very good condition with a very low price. I have exchanged emails with the owner who has been cooperative in sharing additional photos. Here's the kicker: the ad says the car is in Hamilton, Wa. The owner says the car is in Miami. "It was my father's car and I don't need any more toys." He says he is currently an engineer on an off shore oil rig and the car is entrusted to an escrow account in Miami and can be viewed and driven for a prospective buyer. The owner will pay to have the car shipped to the buyer! Can't beat that. I have corresponded with the owner and twice requested a phone conversation for more details. No response. Any opinions? Does anyone recognize this car?
    Edsel Face

The description you have provided reeks of a scam. Unless you can see it in person, check the title against the serial number plate and deal with the owner in person I would go no further.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

This one resembles a scam we have run into regarding Avantis for sale. But, in those cases, the Avanti was supposedly in some kind of storage where it couldn't be seen until it was delivered. The terms of sale required payment before delivery and promised a refund if the car wasn't satisfactory to the buyer. But there wasn't any car and there was never going to be any delivery. Also, in those cases, the seller claimed to be out-of-country and to have authorized an agent to make the sale on his behalf.

As with any purchase these days, buyer beware! You might pursue the idea of having the car inspected and test-driven by your designated agent prior to taking any further steps. If the seller balks, time to say Good-day!

I believe Trovit advertised some of the other scams, so that is another reason to be cautious.

Comment

Working on an off shore oil rig is the giant red flag. They always say there’s no phone or communication on the rig. Duh!!

Comment

It is a scam. I am not familiar with a seller willing to give up sale money to ship the car to the buyer!

Comment

The North Puget Sound Chapter in the Everett WA area, has a warning email out to stay away from this Scam.

No proof positive yet that it is, but my guess is about 99.9% chance that it IS a Scam and why would anyone trust this mostly unknown Sale Site Trovit?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

What everyone else has said...

Comment

Run, Forest, Run
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Edsel Face and I have been communicating about this over the past few days. As more details became available, I felt it was a scam, and suggested he post a message here on the Forum to see if anyone recognized the photographs in the ad as coming from an earlier ad posted elsewhere, possibly by a SDC member. I felt this might confirm it as a scam if the photographs had been skimmed from a known good ad.

I sent the email to our newsletter distribution list late last night to warn them, since the ad lists the car as currently located in our area.
                  Mark L

Comment

I just wish there was a way to scam the scammers......

Comment

Yeah, send them $1.00, that’ll piss em off.

Comment

I'm no scammer,but you can send me that dollar!
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

actually, if I could get a hundred of those wal-mart special debit cars for .01c and give out the numbers to scammers I would. That'd be funny.....

Comment

Just looking at the photos they are at least in four different locations, usually when you photograph a car for sale it is in one location with four or five photos from different angles. These photos appear to be in different parts of the city or county? With the size of Hamilton I am sure somebody would recognize the big white house with the white picket fence and a camper parked in the driveway and with a large gravel area adjacent the house. I scanned Google earth and there was no place that resembled that in Hamilton. This is not conclusive but. Try email the local fire department and ask if they recognize the house.

Comment

Since the "owner" seems adverse to discussing this on the phone, I've moved on and continue my search.

Comment

Working...
                              X