New Comments on Studebaker V8 column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Comments on Studebaker V8 column

Ted Harbit and others have called my attention to the fact that there have been several recent comments posted to my America's Best V8 Engine: Studebaker Hemmings Classic Car column from four years ago!

Ted couldn't figure out how to post the column and associated comments, so here it is:

Thanks for the reminder, Ted. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

As it mostly went unnoticed, I add to this thread the nice article they did about about the OHV 6.

Nice day to all.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Christophe, an excellent article.
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

You're welcome, John.
        Have a nice day down under.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Ted Harbit and others have called my attention to the fact that there have been several recent comments posted to my America's Best V8 Engine: Studebaker Hemmings Classic Car column from four years ago!

Ted couldn't figure out how to post the column and associated comments, so here it is:

What a great article. Thanks for putting the location of the article here for those of us that don't have a Hemmings connection.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Christophe,
            A huge thanks again for posting a most interesting engineering article. It gives some real insight into design and ultimately production problems and hurdles which had to be overcome on a normally maligned or at least under appreciated motor.
            Have a great day!!
            Cheers, Bill

Comment

Thank you very much, Bill. You are really too kind with me! I discovered this article almost by chance a few years ago. I've found nowhere else such technical data about the OHV6. In retrospect, it is a shame they spent so much time and efforts in the design of this head to finally get foundry problems with it. To me, this engine is underrated too, especially when comparing its 112hp to the Ford Falcon 101hp! One of my dreams would be to build an alloy head to gain 50+ pounds (and some power too!) over the original design.
              Nice day to all.
              sigpic

Comment

And then install a Paxton on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                  And then install a Paxton on it!
                  Of course!
                  sigpic

Comment

Great article, thanks for sharing with us Bob! Reminds me of what my dad said back in the fifties about the stude v8. The 51 that he bought new had to have a new camshaft after relatively few miles. Some people apparently had trouble with the new camshaft but Dad said if you changed the cam but not the valve springs it would be ok. He said the pressure was too much on the cam.

The hardening of the cam would follow the general thought on the subject.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

Indeed, the Studebaker V8 was solid in just about every way. I've had my share and the ONLY thing I wish that they had done was to have the distributor located in the front, (a minor inconvenience)!

Comment

Working...
                      X