Who makes Stude key blanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes Stude key blanks?

I went to a couple of hardware stores and they didn't have them and I looked on the website of Studebaker International and didn't see any that looked like mine. Where did you guys get yours? I'm attaching a pic of each side because I'm not even sure if the truck has a Stude ignition. Thanks...
    Attached Files
    1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

A truck of that vintage would likely have a Hurd-type key. S.I.'s catalogue characterizes them as being rather short. One thing you might try is a Locksmith shop that has been around for a really long time. When you do, make sure you talk to one of the older smiths as they might know where the obsolete keys are kept.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I have actually found Studebaker key blanks on e-bay now and then. I have picked some up as spares. I can cut them myself at work.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Those are Yale reproduction Key copies.
        I can sell you New real "Studebaker" Blanks to have any Locksmith cut to match those

You should check the Door Locks and Ignition Lock for a fit, if no locks were replaced it SHOULD open both.

You can send me a email or PM from the info when clicking my name (handle).
        Last edited by StudeRich; 07-30-2019, 12:08 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I got my key blanks through StudeRich and had them cut here in Fernie .. They arrived quick and worked great ..
          Love my Lark

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Those are Yale reproduction Key copies.
            I can sell you New real "Studebaker" Blanks to have any Locksmith cut to match those

You should check the Door Locks and Ignition Lock for a fit, if no locks were replaced it SHOULD open both.

You can send me a email or PM from the info when clicking my name (handle).
            That sounds good. The key only works the ignition and not the door so I guess that means that I can never lock it which is unfortunate. I'll send you a PM....

Comment

It just means you get the door locks and trunk locks adjusted so the ignition key opens them all. Easy for a competent locksmith to do.
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                It just means you get the door locks and trunk locks adjusted so the ignition key opens them all. Easy for a competent locksmith to do.
                It's a truck so no trunk. It's a '49 so no lock on the driver's door. I'll look into it....

Comment

Just get the Ignition Lock and the one Door Lock keyed alike, and you are go to GO!

You have a Key for the Ignition, so they will know what tumblers to put in the Door Lock to match it at a Locksmith Shop.

Your New Studebaker Logo, nickle plated Brass Keys will be in the Mail tomorrow.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When I got my GT it had four keys, one for the ignition, one for drivers door, and one for the passenger door and one for the gas cap. All of them, or any other key would open the trunk.

I rearranged the wafers in the ignition lock so the drivers door key worked it. I had an aluminum Studebaker key that fit nothing, so I arranged the wafers in the trunk lock to fit it. Both super easy. I figured the gas cap key should be different anyway. All those keys I got copies of at the local hardware store, $1 no problem. That goofy little Hurd key for the passenger door, I had to go to three locksmiths just to find a blank and get a copy, $9. I'd change the lock to match the others if I had one, but I never use the key to open the passenger side, I open it from inside, so it's very low priority.

Comment

If someone cannot find a Hurd key blank, many 50's vintage Ford cars used them.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                        If someone cannot find a Hurd key blank, many 50's vintage Ford cars used them.
                        Or... you could get a nickle plated Brass Hurd, Studebaker Key Blank.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Your New Studebaker Logo, nickle plated Brass Keys will be in the Mail tomorrow.

Thanks for the fast service...

Comment

My '64 Daytona came with a brass Chrysler key for the door and ignition. The side grooves don't look like the Stude key but it still works great.

Comment

I was going through keys before the zone meet and found some original NOS '64 type' aluminum keys for the ignition and trunk if anyone is looking.

Comment

Working...
                              X