Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My thoughts on the Avanti..........to those that ask about the design.....mostly women:-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts on the Avanti..........to those that ask about the design.....mostly women:-)

Good to know folks still appreciate good classic design!.........and it is always women, who come up to me to express their appreciation of the design, fyi, in 1961 four designers were locked away in a rented house in Palm Springs California.......the men were surrounded by hundreds of attractive female college students......all four stated that thoughts of those comely looking, and scantily clad women led to the cars seductive curvy design:-) .......not one straight line to be found anywhere on the cars body!......just like on a beautiful woman:-)LOL

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    Good to know folks still appreciate good classic design!.........and it is always women, who come up to me to express their appreciation of the design, fyi, in 1961 four designers were locked away in a rented house in Palm Springs California.......the men were surrounded by hundreds of attractive female college students......all four stated that thoughts of those comely looking, and scantily clad women led to the cars seductive curvy design
    Raymond Loewy & Associates did have at least one female designer on his Avanti design team: https://www.behance.net/gallery/2271...-(PEGGY)-SAUER

Reportedly, she worked on the Avanti interior, and came up with the sliding vanity tray, but according to this book, https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...359-item.html? it was Raymond Loewy's idea first. But we all know how RL always took credit for EVERYTHING that came to reality from his design studio!! One can see a sliding vanity tray in use in the top center photo on the 'Damsels in Design' book cover of what appears to be a 1958 Chevrolet dash. It is similar in shape to the Avanti and 1964 & newer Lark type trays, except for the mirror being moved to the underside of the pop-up lid.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 07-24-2019, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Thank you for posting this information. I was aware of her work at GM but not her involvement on the Avanti. Learn something everyday.

Bob Caser
      mrbobinc

Comment

They got that Picture of an "Avanti" dash a bit wrong, it's a '64 Lark Type.

It is possible though, that Peg Sauer did also design the Vanity Tray in those Cars as well.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
        X