Not a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a Studebaker

Once again I have seen an Avanti II advertised as a Studebaker. This particular car was on the Hemmings website and I filed a complaint stating that anything after 1964 is not a Studebaker. I'm sure you've seen them as well. We should all be aware of this issue and advise the seer accordingly, lest they have a false advertising issue on their hands.
    peter lee

For the love of Mike, 99% of the vox populi couldn't tell the difference with a scorecard and it keeps The Studebaker name alive. There must be more important things in the world than this minor nuisance.

I do believe the original design was of Studebaker origin. My Avanti's (not Studebaker's obviously) start a lot of conversations at shows by people that recall a "real" Studebaker or "faux" Avanti in their past and it brings back fond memories that they like to share. If you think I'll crush those with a diatribe on what is and isn't a Studebaker you are sorely mistaken.

Bob

Comment

I suspect that part of the problem is that “Avanti” may not be available as a stand alone marque when advertising a vehicle and thus people are forced to select Studebaker in order to get their ad published.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
        I suspect that part of the problem is that “Avanti” may not be available as a stand alone marque when advertising a vehicle and thus people are forced to select Studebaker in order to get their ad published.
        There's truth in what you post in that I have been on eBay and found Avanti cars that show up in "other" category and not listed in the Studebaker section. I have not checked lately, but have seen it before. Not only Avanti, but I have also found Studebaker vehicles showing up in "other" rather than under the Studebaker classification. I've always thought it was due to how the seller went about listing it. I have not sold enough stuff online to know the finer details.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Happens all the time. No biggie.

Comment

OR... A 2R11!!! Really?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree.....
              Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
              Happens all the time. No biggie.
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

Nash Metropolitans are the same. They were made under the Nash label in 54-55, Hudson Metropolitans in 56 and when American Motors bought them out the car was just called a Metropolitan. ( kind of like Ram Trucks are not Dodge trucks anymore). People remember them as Nash. So when you are selling parts or the cars the Nash label seems to go with. No one seems to mind.
                51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
                53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
                62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  OR... A 2R11!!! Really?
                  Over...and over...and over...and...
                  Mike Davis
                  1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    OR... A 2R11!!! Really?
                    That is the default model when one isn't inserted.

EDIT: The default is 2R10, not "2R11".
                    Last edited by studegary; 07-12-2019, 06:44 PM.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Came up to a stop light in my '63 Avanti R2 2658 and the guy in the Ford pick-up next to me says,"I saw that Jensen Interceptor coming up behind me."
                      No sir. It's not an Interceptor.
                      "Well what is it?"
                      A Studebaker.
                      "Are you sure?"
                      Let's see, after how many $$'s on the restoration, the documentation that I have on this car, and the (10) letters on the trunk starting with "S" and ending with "R", Yeah, I'm petty sure it's a Studebaker.

Comment

I guess we should not call the 65 and 66 cars Studebaker's either? the Avanti ll is as much a Studebaker as the 63-64 except for one thing the engine, where would we be now if it was not for Newman and Altman picking up the movement and keeping the Avanti alive? not to say anything about parts that would be long gone if it were not for them, just my 2 cents worth as always.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                          I guess we should not call the 65 and 66 cars Studebaker's either? the Avanti ll is as much a Studebaker as the 63-64 except for one thing the engine, where would we be now if it was not for Newman and Altman picking up the movement and keeping the Avanti alive? not to say anything about parts that would be long gone if it were not for them, just my 2 cents worth as always.
                          It is not the engine that makes the BIG difference, it is the manufacturer. 1963 and 1964 Avantis were a model of the Studebaker Corp. 1965 and 1966 Avantis were a model of Avanti Motor Corporation and therefore, not Studebakers. Studebaker was building cars for 1965 and 1966, but not Avantis.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                          X