Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When production shifted to CA in the '64 MY ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When production shifted to CA in the '64 MY ...

I'm trying to understand some details in the SB shutdown.
    If the SB factory shutdown happened without notice to the rank and file employees, there were cars in process on the assembly line, some of which were customer ordered vs dealer stock. Logically, there were also parts in process for several more weeks and/or months of future production.

Now the questions:
    1. Were all the in-process cars sent to Hamilton for completion?
    2. Assuming #1 was NO, then which models were completed in SB?
    3. Was there a priority for customer ordered cars?
    4. Was there any other SB facility used for component assembly to be shipped to Hamilton?
    5. I understand engines for the '64 MY were built in SB, so what else continued to be processed in SB?
    6. Roughly, what percentage of SB assembly line workers were retained to do other tasks when their primary jobs ceased?
    7. Other than workers engaged in supplying parts and assemblies for shipment to Hamilton, were others sent to Hamilton?
    8. Since no Avanti's or GT's were built in Hamilton, did the production line for them stop well before Dec 20th?
    9. Were the partially completed cars that were completed in Hamilton, serialized as being SB or Hamilton cars.

While one of my manufacturing businesses was building products under a contract, I knew the date the contract was scheduled to end and could plan accordingly. Because I only had 24 employees, I announced the shutdown to employees and offered severance pay as an incentive to keep them until their specific job was finished. The shutdown took more than two weeks to complete and I retained the two guys in the shipping area to do cleanup and machinery moving after the last products were shipped.

I was just wondering how shutting down an operation as large as Studebaker was accomplished.

The announcement was made on December 9th, almost two full work weeks before December 20th when the last passenger car was produced. This does not include trucks as they were made until December 27, (and Zip Vans until April, 1964). The plant was already only working a four day work week as it was, with production adjusted accordingly, and to answer your first question, cars 'in progress' were completed before the shutdown.

As far as some final employees after car & truck production ceased, more here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-s-Dirty-Dozen

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 07-15-2019, 06:44 PM.

Comment

My GT Hawk was the 3rd last Hawk built and the very last Superhawk built, per Bob Palma. I knew by the production order that it was built on the last day, however I did not know the order in which it was built. That answers your question about Avanti and GT Hawk final builds. Bill

Comment

1. No
        2. Those in process or with a firm order
        3. Not that I know of (other than to finish them)
        7. A few
        8. No - There were Avantis built after Dec. 20 and also many trucks (after Dec. 20).
        9. I do not know of any that would fit this category
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
        X