X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWChamp
    replied
    I totally agree with Hallabutt.
    The first Studebaker I bought in 1968 was a good original 1950 Commander, and it rode and handled like a dream. The 1950 Champion I bought about 5 years ago was restored about 1993, and the guy put on every NOS part he could find. It also rides and handles like a dream. The 1950 Land Cruiser I bought a year and a half ago is an excellent original car, and it also has a fantastic ride.

Leave a comment:

• 6hk71400
    replied
    Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
    Try contacting the San Joaquin Valley Chapter (559 area code). Fresno aint that far from Nipomo if you can find a willing owner to take a drive with.
    Thanks everyone for your help. Thank you too William, and if you can stop by the Zone meet even for just a few hours it will be great for future contacts and fun events.

Now, I am just getting ready to go to work at 11pm so when I get home, the emails will be going out so as to help with your original quest. I did drive a 50 Champion a long time ago and it just was in a mall we were setting up for a show. Not really a drive but the car did feel light and easy to drive. Lots of driving of many 52 Commanders. Balance, ease of steering and with overdrive a very smooth riding comfortable road car.

I will keep you updated on what can be arraigned. Thanks to everyone in response and suggestions.

Bob Miles
    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    Try contacting the San Joaquin Valley Chapter (559 area code). Fresno aint that far from Nipomo if you can find a willing owner to take a drive with.

Leave a comment:

• Edsel Face
    replied
    That's fair advice, thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    William,

The reason that most people feel that a 1951 is a better riding care is probably that they have never ridden in a 1950, that is in good condition. Why do I believe this to be true? I have been in this Studebaker hobby for 59 years, and until we discovered "Amelia" our 1950 Champion Starlight coupe, I had never had the chance to get behind the wheel of a nicely preserved 1950 Studebaker. That was about seventeen years ago, and any preconceived notion that I may have had about the model's suspension shortcomings, went out the window. IMHO the difference that you might discern is not so much one of engineering, as it is in the relative condition of the two cars that you might be testing. My opinion is that you should try to ignore the engineering differences and concentrate on condition.

Leave a comment:

• Edsel Face
    replied
    I'll try to answer all of the above. I'm closer to being too old than too young. I will drive to the owner's location. If the owner has both years that would great. There is a '50 convertible on Hemmings that I would consider buying. It is in Texas and I would have to have someone evaluate it for me. I'm working on that. Getting my introduction closer to home would be helpful. Most people seem to feel the '51 is a better riding car. That's a good reason to check out both. With respect to the event in September,
    I am entering a car that weekend at the Ironstone Concourse in Murphys, which isn't too far from Sacramento. Not sure I can do both, but I will if I can.

Leave a comment:

• Champ51
    replied
    Originally posted by Edsel Face View Post
    Also, nowhere can I find the dimension of the width of a '50 or '51 Champion. I need to determine if there is adequate space with another car in the garage. I'm OK on length.
    A 1951 would be just under 71 inches wide.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    It's a little hard for me to understand why someone would want to ride in a '50 or '51 Champion to consider a purchase, if I had a prospective Car I was interested in buying, I would go check it out and drive it.

On the other hand if you are too young to have ever ridden in a 1950's Car (they all ride similar), you might be wondering if you could deal with it's differences from say a 2017 Honda, I do not know your situation but suffice it to say, the Two are quite different, among other things you would have to deal with NO irreparable Electronics!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-22-2019, 11:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 53 Commander
    replied
    I've had 2 53 Commanders with the Studebaker Automatic Drive and never had a problem with them.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Why would it be incumbent upon the owners of the Studebaker’s to do the travel distance? The “favor”, it seems to me, is taking the time and prep to let someone test drive their cars. Which is for no other reason but to drive them.
    No offence Edsel, but you’re asking a lot.
    Why not make contact, set up a look see, offer a nice lunch out or something, drive the distance yourself, and see what happens?

Leave a comment:

• 6hk71400
    replied
    Maybe I am missing something. William, are you willing to drive to where I can find both a 50 or 51 that an owner would have you test out the car? As I can this weekend, I will contact the owner(s) and wait for a response. Have you found a car it is just not in your area?

Also to consider, at the end of September, the Pacific Southwest Zone Meet is in Sacramento at the end of September. There might be a car there waiting for you. Great way to make good friends and great contacts. I will be there, but that should not be the reason to come!!!!!

Bob Miles

Leave a comment:

• Edsel Face
    replied
    Santa Barbara would be the closest, about 90 miles south.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    San Carlos is a looooooong way from Santa Barbara in a Champion.

Leave a comment:

• 6hk71400
    replied
    Just looking at the roster from A to H, I have found in Santa Barbara a 1950 Champion and in San Carlos, a 1952 Champion which will drive like a 1951 Champion. I can keep looking and then contact by email the members, who I am sure will be willing to help out. Also, Mimi (regional manager south) and Bob Halgren have 2 1950 Champions but they are in the 919 ZipCode.

Bob Miles

Leave a comment:

• 6hk71400
    replied
    Originally posted by Edsel Face View Post
    Congratulations! I estimate the population between Monterey and Santa Barbara to be 300,000 400,000. Maybe someone could research the roster to see if there are enough members residing in this area to warrant forming a chapter.
    I will call on one of our regional managers in California for additional assistance. The Regional Manager North, Lou Van Anne, is out of town but will be back in two weeks. Currently in California we have approximately 900 members. That is approximately 10 percent of the worldwide membership in one area. I am certain William, that will not much effort we can find a few members with a 1950 and 1951 Champion to assist.

As in 2020, the position for Board Member and Zone Coordinator will be open. Malcolm Stinson is term limited and we will need to elect a new Board Member. Keep this in mind after you find the car you want to see about a position with the Studebaker Drivers Club.

For all of our California Members, keep this in mind about volunteering to represent the Pacific Southwest Zone.

Bob Miles

Leave a comment:

Working...
X