Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Currently Active Users - how many really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently Active Users - how many really?

When I open the site to the main Forum page, and I'm logged in, I see data at the bottom of the page listing "currently active users" and giving a count. At the moment, the count is something like 672. Are there really that many people actually reading pages on the Forum at this moment? Or, does it mean that the people logged in but may have just navigated away from the site without logging out, so the site still counts them. Do you have to close out your browser to be "not on line"? Inquiring minds want to know!

I sometimes look at the list and think, "Gee, I'd like to have a real-time chat with him/her, right now". That feature is not implemented in the forum software as far as I know, though you can always send a private message, as I sometimes do.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Probably logged in. Personally, I am perpetually logged in and just open the page everyday to see "what's new"..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Im going to GUESS that if you have logged into the site, then do other things/navigate away without logging out of the site or closing your browser/shutting of computer, that is counted as an active user. There is also a good chance that if you have logged into the site in 2 different browsers or devices without logging out of either, that would count as 2 or more users.
      Its not really possible to tell if you are actively reading a post, or what you are doing second to second. That would be very invasive and web browsers dont allow that kind of data to pass as it would be a security risk.

Comment

Good question, Gary.

I never log out. Even when I turn off my computer for the day, when I boot it up the next day, I don't have to sign in to the forum; it never signed me out, even when I shut it down for the day. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I never log out. But I always have to log back in.
          I think it a matter of the preferences you set to begin with.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I almost never log out and often it's due to laziness or forgetfulness. All in all not a good practice since this site is not protected from those bent on mischief..

Comment

Microsoft/ Internet Explorer: I always shut down and I am cut off. I have not saved the password on the site. If I am lazy and just want to see what's new, I may not sign in again. Alternately, if I want to see pictures and visit other areas, I sign in and can see the statistics.

My Ipad will automatically log me on. I didn't save the password. Note that after each forum title, you see how many users are there in theory. At the bottom you can see how many members and guests are on.

Comment

Active? I'm sitting here...I do move once in a while.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I'm on another car forum and the "most ever" on line statistic showed on April 4, 2019 there were 551 on line and the site has 7505 member. Ironically this site sees minimal traffic. The average is 1-3 posts per day. And that includes replies. Overwhelmingly it is the same five or so people who are posting..., when and if they post.

Oddly the site welcomes people who sign up and it seems every day there are 3-5 people who join. So, the math just doesn't seem to add up. 20+ people are added each week and yet they rarely if ever post anything. 7505 members and 5 are the predominant people who use the site - minimally. This gets posted often because the few who are active remember a far more vibrant time and we are baffled. But all we get is that the site is "growing."
                  '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

If I understand it correctly Post #9 is just all about some "unknown" Car Website not ours.

Here, we are more "Active" because we are NOT!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Feel lucky we have such a good group that we do. On the Crosley site, it's a big deal if we have more than a handful of posts a week.
                      Mike Sal

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                        Feel lucky we have such a good group that we do. On the Crosley site, it's a big deal if we have more than a handful of posts a week.
                        Mike Sal
                        How about if you ratio the number of Crosleys built or the number of years built versus Studebakers, even limited to motorized Studebakers?
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Me, too. If I ever get logged out I have to scour my memory for the password. I've lucked out a few times without having a clue what it was. I hate passwords in general. A scourge. Too bad they're needed for lots of things.
                          Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          Good question, Gary.

I never log out. Even when I turn off my computer for the day, when I boot it up the next day, I don't have to sign in to the forum; it never signed me out, even when I shut it down for the day. BP
                          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

My browser do the log in automatically, when I open the page. I don't write often, but I read the news every day. I guess that is what very much members do

Comment

Working...
                            X