Looking for used stock 53 C/K Commander front and back seat upholstery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for used stock 53 C/K Commander front and back seat upholstery

I have the seats but the upholstery/pattern is not stock. I have a local friend that will duplicate it for me.
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

There were I think 3 styles of fabric and 2 vinyl depending on what level trim of "C" or "K" your car is.

The cloth stuff is pretty rare to see as it was not very durable.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
      There were I think 3 styles of fabric and 2 vinyl depending on what level trim of "C" or "K" your car is.

The cloth stuff is pretty rare to see as it was not very durable.
      Looking at John Bridge's book "Studebaker Finest" I am most interested in the vinyl leatherette that was available in the 53 C and K. The seats I have are out of a 53 Commander Regal Starliner but they were redone years ago and only remotely resemble the original vinyl seat pattern with the vertical pleats.
      It would be great if I could come up with an original vinyl seat pattern.
      I also read that the original seat pleats were pressed flat, hiding the stitches. I imagine SMS upholstery could replicate it.
      64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

The '53 & '54 K Models were all Regals, so the only option was Cloth and Vinyl or Full Vinyl, and you rarely ever see the later on an Original "as from the Factory Car".

Also the front seat was a 60/40 split back with vertical Pleats, but the driver's side ONLY had the Insert with Pleats.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5665.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1725177 Southeast Studebaker has them, this set is from the Harger's Original Co. Phantom Interiors.

Yes, there is no exposed stitching, it is on the Inside. What's the name for that: French Pleated or stitching?
        Last edited by StudeRich; 02-03-2019, 02:11 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have some N.O.S.rear seat pieces in light brown vinyl , with the hidden seams if you just want to copy the originals.It will take awhile to locate these due to the cold and I am old.
          Robert Kapteyn
          Eight one five 212 two three eight nine
          studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Hidden seams? All the originals that I have seen have been top stitched. As a matter of fact a good friend restored his 1954, using leather, which was an option. His wife worked in an upholstery shop part time, and did the stitching and installation. They asked me whether I thought that they should use the "french stitching," (hidden seams?) which took more work and used more material, and was stitched from the back. I said that it would make a much better looking job. We all knew that it was not factory correct, but...She used the french stitch. The car was absolutely beautiful! Their plan was to show the car, one time, and then drive it. The show that they chose happened to have Rene' Hagger (sp), as a judge. The upshot, the only points the car lost was for the French stitching. Just be advised it's not right, but it sure beats the look of the original.

Comment

It's called "rolled" pleats. French stiching is a whole other thing completely.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

So you're saying that rolled pleats=hidden seams? Studebaker used top stitched rolled pleated upholstery, but the stitching was always visible.

Comment

In this video the "Gypsy Upholsterer" show you one way to sew a french seam in leather. This is a common stitch in high end auto upholstery.Doing a DIY die...

here is a French seam. You can see the stitching. ??
                  64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Thank's Kerry, I get it now.

Comment

This is my 30,600 mile 53, fresh out of 21 year slumber.Click image for larger version

Name:	D974ED5A-C9AF-40D4-9A3C-875A497FC78C.jpg
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1725190Click image for larger version

Name:	D974ED5A-C9AF-40D4-9A3C-875A497FC78C.jpg
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1725190

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                        This is my 30,600 mile 53, fresh out of 21 year slumber.
                        Just so you know, Phantom Interiors was making reproduction Seat Covers with hidden Stitching like the ones in Post #4 and possibly yours, before 21 Years ago!

Is your Mileage DOCUMENTED as actual?

Understand that I am not saying your Car is not 100% Original, just that it IS possible to be more miles and restored, unless there is Documented History.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I found a repair receipt for a front end alignment in the glove box dated 11/9/1997 with 27,065 miles. Works for me.

Comment

Isn't there a "For Sale/Wanted" forum for needed parts? Perhaps this would get more attention there. Just a thought.
                            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                            1950 Champion Convertible
                            1950 Champion 4Dr
                            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Roberts NOS 53 rear seat upholstery.
                              ??
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts 53 Studebaker nos seat cover.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB