Another year older another year to make crap up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another year older another year to make crap up

So Mom and Dad and I went up to the villages this past weekend. I was sad that there were only a few studebakers up there, but was glad I went and got to see some really nice cars of all makes and models.

The funniest thing was the blue 1962 Lark Daytona 4spd, V-8 with a turbo. I was looking at the car and this old guy comes up to my dad and me and proceeds to inform us that this is a rare R-9 studebaker with the factory turbo charger. He told us 1963 was the year of this car and rambled on about land speed records and the R-9 still held that speed record to this day at 178mph. I then looked at my dad and said I wonder why this 63 has a 62 grille, 62 tailights and a 62 vin number. The old guy looked at me and dead serious told me is was an early 63 and that they still had some left over vin tags and they just used them later. He continued to talk about knowing this and that about Studebakers and dad looked at him, now getting rather annoyed, and said how many Studebakers have you owned? The guy looked at him and said none but he had been around in the 60's and knew all of this stuff. I was just glad my dad did not try to get into a battle of wits with this poor unarmed man.

So anyway, if you own the Blue 62 Daytona, now you know just how rare that car really is.

My dad looked sort of funny at the blackbird and said WHY?? until I said it saved two from the crusher. Then he was pretty impressed it actually worked. That is one bizzare piece of machinery.

Former owner/owner with Dad:
    58 Packard Golden Hawk
    62 Hawk
    62 Lark
    63 Lark
    64 Lark
    63 Champ
    Currently I own:
    84 Mercedes 380SL
    92 Range Rover (for sale)
    99 BMW 323I
    and helping a 16 year old rebuild an 86 Saab 900

Lakeland, FL

Gerald's Daytona is a pretty nice car, with a lot of custom touches. Don't know anything about that R9 thing though.

And Black Bird, you can't help but admire the creativity and ingenuity that went into that thing. And it's on the road more than a lot of Studes!

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Gerald's Daytona is a pretty nice car, with a lot of custom touches. Don't know anything about that R9 thing though.

And Black Bird, you can't help but admire the creativity and ingenuity that went into that thing. And it's on the road more than a lot of Studes!

Matthew Burnette
      '59 Scotsman
      '63 Daytona
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Is Gerald's BLACK '62 Daytona the same BLUE one Shawn saw?[?]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is Gerald's BLACK '62 Daytona the same BLUE one Shawn saw?[?]

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, that car's not black, it's "Blue Sapphire", if I remember correctly. Though it does look a lot darker in the pic.

Matthew Burnette
            '59 Scotsman
            '63 Daytona
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Rich, that car's not black, it's "Blue Sapphire", if I remember correctly. Though it does look a lot darker in the pic.

Matthew Burnette
              '59 Scotsman
              '63 Daytona
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Did we chat Saturday?
                If we didn't, then shame on me....
                Dunno about the stories told, but that Daytona is a pretty decent ride. And Bob Oates was doing quite well (With his Blackbird / Hark).
                He had a hip R&R'd a couple years ago and it worked so well he said he doesn't need his other (original) hip replaced.
                We were hoping for a few more Stude's too, but it was nice to have a good amount of them represented.
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Shawn

So Mom and Dad and I went up to the villages this past weekend. I was sad that there were only a few studebakers up there, but was glad I went and got to see some really nice cars of all makes and models.

The funniest thing was the blue 1962 Lark Daytona 4spd, V-8 with a turbo. I was looking at the car and this old guy comes up to my dad and me and proceeds to inform us that this is a rare R-9 studebaker with the factory turbo charger. He told us 1963 was the year of this car and rambled on about land speed records and the R-9 still held that speed record to this day at 178mph. I then looked at my dad and said I wonder why this 63 has a 62 grille, 62 tailights and a 62 vin number. The old guy looked at me and dead serious told me is was an early 63 and that they still had some left over vin tags and they just used them later. He continued to talk about knowing this and that about Studebakers and dad looked at him, now getting rather annoyed, and said how many Studebakers have you owned? The guy looked at him and said none but he had been around in the 60's and knew all of this stuff. I was just glad my dad did not try to get into a battle of wits with this poor unarmed man.

So anyway, if you own the Blue 62 Daytona, now you know just how rare that car really is.

My dad looked sort of funny at the blackbird and said WHY?? until I said it saved two from the crusher. Then he was pretty impressed it actually worked. That is one bizzare piece of machinery.

58 Packard Golden Hawk
                62 Hawk
                62 Lark
                63 Lark
                64 Lark
                63 Champ
                Currently I own:
                84 Mercedes 380SL
                99 BMW 323I

Lakeland, FL
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Did we chat Saturday?
                  Dunno about the stories told, but that Daytona is a pretty decent ride. And Bob Oates was doing quite well (With his Blackbird / Hark).
                  He had a hip R&R'd a couple years ago and it worked so well he said he doesn't need his other (original) hip replaced.
                  We were hoping for a few more Stude's too, but it was nice to have a good amount of them represented.
                  Jeff[8D]

58 Packard Golden Hawk
                  62 Hawk
                  62 Lark
                  63 Lark
                  64 Lark
                  63 Champ
                  Currently I own:
                  84 Mercedes 380SL
                  99 BMW 323I

Lakeland, FL
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That thing must be a handful on rough roads.

Comment

That thing must be a handful on rough roads.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Did we chat Saturday?
                        Jeff[8D]

I doubt we talked and it was certainly not your fault. My dad was starting to limp pretty bad, as he is only a couple of weeks away from having a knee replacement, and we were under the idea that there were going to be more stude's there. He had been hurting all day but really wanted to go, so we sort of did the wirlwind tour of the entire place. I would have liked to talk to more folks, but I wanted to get him off his feet. We had a nice car ride up and it was a nice show for certain. Hopefully if I go next year it will be with a 63 Lark I have built. Maybe it will be one of those really rare R-9's that guy was telling me about.

58 Packard Golden Hawk
                        62 Hawk
                        62 Lark
                        63 Lark
                        64 Lark
                        63 Champ
                        Currently I own:
                        84 Mercedes 380SL
                        99 BMW 323I

Lakeland, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Did we chat Saturday?
                          Jeff[8D]

I doubt we talked and it was certainly not your fault. My dad was starting to limp pretty bad, as he is only a couple of weeks away from having a knee replacement, and we were under the idea that there were going to be more stude's there. He had been hurting all day but really wanted to go, so we sort of did the wirlwind tour of the entire place. I would have liked to talk to more folks, but I wanted to get him off his feet. We had a nice car ride up and it was a nice show for certain. Hopefully if I go next year it will be with a 63 Lark I have built. Maybe it will be one of those really rare R-9's that guy was telling me about.

58 Packard Golden Hawk
                          62 Hawk
                          62 Lark
                          63 Lark
                          64 Lark
                          63 Champ
                          Currently I own:
                          84 Mercedes 380SL
                          99 BMW 323I

Lakeland, FL

Comment

Man Shawn; that guy's R9 story is the wildest stretch of the truth I have EVER heard! [:0]
                            And I really did think I had heard them all! With all of these stories about Supercharged 352 Packard powered Larks and such, just when you think it can't get any crazier it does! LOL! [:0]

That is a quantum leap from the experimental R5 to an R9!!!!!!! [:0]
                            Sounds like 10 guys sitting at a Bar counter for a fair amount of time downing drinks, and the first guy relates what he heard about the R5 and passes it on, and by the time it gets to the 10th Guy this is what you get!! Left over vin tags...does it EVER stop? [V]

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Man Shawn; that guy's R9 story is the wildest stretch of the truth I have EVER heard! [:0]
                              And I really did think I had heard them all! With all of these stories about Supercharged 352 Packard powered Larks and such, just when you think it can't get any crazier it does! LOL! [:0]

That is a quantum leap from the experimental R5 to an R9!!!!!!! [:0]
                              Sounds like 10 guys sitting at a Bar counter for a fair amount of time downing drinks, and the first guy relates what he heard about the R5 and passes it on, and by the time it gets to the 10th Guy this is what you get!! Left over vin tags...does it EVER stop? [V]

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X