Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I now know my Avanti must be worth 25 k...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I now know my Avanti must be worth 25 k...........

Need to worry about the installation of a blower on an R1 and was it handled correctly. A fair bit of discussion on the AOAI forum about this car.

Bob

Comment

Bob......45 K should buy a more original car.....look at the pass side parking lamp ....looks like the housing is cracked......whats the matter too hard to replace??? Master cyl and booster incorrect.....whats up with the gauges on the consul...... I am sure you can find other aspects of this RARE must have auto;-)
      Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
      Need to worry about the installation of a blower on an R1 and was it handled correctly. A fair bit of discussion on the AOAI forum about this car.

Bob

Comment

And why wouldn't YOUR car be worth 25K? Post pictures of it so we too can ridicule it!
        The real Halibrands on this car are worth a $1000 ea minumum. Being a cheapskate doesn't make the rest of the world so. Have you priced a frame up restoration?
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

My statement was of a rhetorical nature.....based upon what my eyes actually discerned (in the ad) and what I know to be the condition of my UN-restored well maintained car, the assertion of my cars worth is my own........in the end a car is only worth what some entity is actually willing to spend for it...........no matter your statement as to what frame up restorations cost.........or the quality of your restorative work, which I know to be without question.........your statement about the wheels actually puts a smile on my face..........there is a reason the re-pops are not made of Magnesium..............do you remember your college chemistry class?.......do you remember being given a small amount of Magnesium ribbon??.......do you remember what happens when that ribbon is subjected to the heat of ignition???............I will 'assume' that you do............the last thing I would put on my car are wheels made out of Magnesium.....I am not big on the specter of a conflagration engulfing my fiberglass car;-(
          One other thing Brad, being retired and cautious of funds to last until my demise, the last thing on my mind is frame up restoration costs....I applaud those with deep deep pockets that undertake such endeavors.

Comment

IMO, it is a nice car and I hope they get their price. However, it is not very original. Silver mist metallic is a stock color?? Added guages, 64 style dash etc. The serial number appears to be too low to have the bkv option like the one i have.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

But it's not against the law to go fishing, right? But ya gotta have a license. This one is not too bad of a license, but you never know what, (or who) is biting out there, do ya?
              sals54

Comment

If ya don't like it you don't have to buy it. If you do like it, its value is exactly whatever its worth to you.

Comment

I notice a few things about this car:
                  1) With S/N of R4787 it is likely a "transition 1964" Avanti, hence the mostly '64 interior, but with round headlamps.
                  2) The exterior color looks just like Avanti Grey to me, which is an original color for both '63's & '64's. It's a color that isn't often seen today, perhaps for the same reason that my Avanti Grey '64 is going to be repainted Avanti Maroon (I like it better).
                  3) The speedometer is 160 mph, used on R2 & R3 Avantis only (except for early '63 Avanti R2's, which used a 140 MPH speedo).
                  4) The 1964-type "Avanti Supercharged" nameplates on the front fenders are in the wrong locations (suggesting they have been added). The car probably would have come with the '63-type "Supercharged" nameplates had it come from the factory as an R2. Groan: Mistakes like this are hard to correct, involving trying to match the paint exactly.
                  5) The gold "S" on the hood should be silver.
                  6) BTW, I believe the 813BKV option came along well before SN 4787.
                  -Dwight
                  Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 01-19-2019, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Ones personal opinion about wheel material matters not one iota about the actual market value of said wheel. The fact that someone wouldn't pay an amount for a product doesn't diminish the worth of said product.
                    The color is stock Avanti Grey. Black vinyl is an option on late production cars. The supercharger looks like the belts are hooked up and functioning, A quick spray can and a sticker would go a long ways to stop some negative remarks.
                    The hour meter on the console is rather strange, and would be more in keeping with farm machinery. The Paxton conversion gauges were generally oil temp, and fuel pressure.
                    Any 63-64 Corvette will set you back a minimum of 35K ANY Avanti should be able to match the entry price of the same year Corvette market. AND IF IT IS NOT. then by GOD WORK TO MAKE IT SO!!!!!!
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

You have to be kidding me???...its not opinion.....Magnesium is dangerous...the re-pops are not of such material. As I said unless one can actually sell a product, no matter what that product is, the product is for all intents and purposes a static museum display item.
                      Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                      Ones personal opinion about wheel material matters not one iota about the actual market value of said wheel. The fact that someone wouldn't pay an amount for a product doesn't diminish the worth of said product.
                      The color is stock Avanti Grey. Black vinyl is an option on late production cars. The supercharger looks like the belts are hooked up and functioning, A quick spray can and a sticker would go a long ways to stop some negative remarks.
                      The hour meter on the console is rather strange, and would be more in keeping with farm machinery. The Paxton conversion gauges were generally oil temp, and fuel pressure.
                      Any 63-64 Corvette will set you back a minimum of 35K ANY Avanti should be able to match the entry price of the same year Corvette market. AND IF IT IS NOT. then by GOD WORK TO MAKE IT SO!!!!!!

Comment

For a car with this price tag one would think it would have the right fuel filter.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

45k Avanti

To give you some idea of value of a 63 R2 I purchased a 63 R2 with 4 speed matching numbers with rust free Hogs for $13,000 Iam now rebuilding the motor so add another 3 K The car has original paint so needs to be repainted add another 3 K if you do most of body work yourself The interior is good for a driver The previous owner installed Turner brakes and dumped at least 8 K into the car

QUOTE=candbstudebakers;1142714]For a car with this price tag one would think it would have the right fuel filter.[/QUOTE]

Comment

And that's why I always build them for me. I don't car what others think. If someone else really wants to restore one of my cars, then they can wait till I sell it and they can go crazy with money on it. I'll fix em and drive em and modify em to my liking.
                            But if someone wants to spend big on thier car for the joy of it, then so be it. I'll enjoy the outcome of that labor by admiring the beauty of it.
                            sals54

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                              You have to be kidding me???...its not opinion.....Magnesium is dangerous...the re-pops are not of such material. As I said unless one can actually sell a product, no matter what that product is, the product is for all intents and purposes a static museum display item.
                              Magnesium does burn, but pretty reluctantly in bulk (like a wheel) and needs close to 1,000F to ignite it. I does burn however...but then so does a tank full of gasoline

From various Wikis...

US Federal Aviation Administration has conducted wide-ranging tests over the past decade, and has reached a conclusion that potential flammability of magnesium is no longer deemed to be a concern

Porsche used magnesium alloy frames in the 917/053 that won Le Mans in 1971, and continues to use magnesium alloys for its engine blocks due to the weight advantage.
                              Volkswagen Group has used magnesium in its engine components for many years.
                              BMW used magnesium alloy blocks in their N52 engine, including an aluminium alloy insert for the cylinder walls and cooling jackets surrounded by a high-temperature magnesium alloy AJ62A. The engine was used worldwide between 2005 and 2011 in various 1, 3, 5, 6, and 7 series models; as well as the Z4, X1, X3, and X5.
                              Chevrolet used the magnesium alloy AE44 in the 2006 Corvette Z06.
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X