No announcement yet.

Top 10 collector cars for 2019?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haggerty left out 1985+ Dodge Shelby turbo cars. I still have the Hot Rod Mag testing an Omni GLHS against Mustang GT350 beating it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	shelby.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1724924
    My 85 Dodge turbo and Yamaha Turbo Bike (during the 55mph legal speed limit).

Click image for larger version

Name:	1987.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1724923

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      I worked with a lady that bought a new 1978 Corvette Pace Car and used it as her everyday and only car, including going to work in the snow, until the late 1980s when she and the car retired to Florida. She died not long after. I do not know what happened to the car.
      I bet its probably restored by now.

Here are some 1978 Corvettes where some have less than 100 miles on the odometer: https://www.hemmings.com/cars-for-sa.../corvette/1978

How many other 40+ year old production cars (perhaps with the exception of the 1976 Eldorado convertible) can you name where one can 'pick and choose' an example with less than 100 miles on it??

Craig

Comment

Can not figure out what it is that drives demand for collector cars???? A Porsche 911 Targa is worth a ton of money. An Air Force friend had one and really didn't like it. I think maybe he thought he'd be a little different and not buy a 'vette. An Avanti is a joy to drive and handles wonderfully; the rear end isn't always trying to get ahead of the front end. They have power and they are low production yet they are worth a fraction of what a 56 Chev is worth. GM made a zillion of them and whereas I do like them, if it isn't too hot out I 'd way rather drive an Avanti. I guess if I could predict the market I would be rich??

Comment

Different cars for a different audience. People on this forum may not understand it, but the world has moved on. As the cars of the 30's and 40's, before them, the early post war cars are becoming seldom used, static display, museum pieces. What I see listed are mostly later, driver friendly, specialty cars many of which I would like to own. I guess my comment would have to be, don't knock it until you try it.

Did you ever go to a car event and have someone pan your Studebaker, I have. I usually respond to their ignorance, with the question, have you ever owned one, driven one, or even ridden in one. Pretty sure I can guess the answer. To which I counter with don't knock it until you try it. Their attitude shows ignorance and intransigence.

Comment

Simple: Buy the make and type of collector car that pleases you, not the general audience. If others can't understand it, or hold the view that everyone should conform to the narrow list of what is popular, ignore them, its them displaying their narrow minds and ignorance.

Comment

My theory is that a car is OLD when it is older than you are. Some of the drivers on the road today were born in the 21th century, so (if I am correct) a 1990s car is old to them, even if it does nothing for me.
              Bill Jarvis

Comment

In 1973, a couple of months after I bought my 1947 Studebaker Champion, I proudly entered it in an antique auto show in Halifax, Nova Scotia. A friend and I were having lunch in a restaurant across the street when a highly respected member of the hobby came over to speak to him. This gentleman owned several nicely restored antique cars which he drove, including two pre-1910 Metz, and a Stanley Steamer. He said to my friend, "I don't think any cars newer than 1940 should be allowed in shows." Just as it happened, the car this gentleman brought to the show was his 1940 Buick four-door convertible. I felt a wee bit insulted.
                Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
                  My theory is that a car is OLD when it is older than you are. Some of the drivers on the road today were born in the 21th century, so (if I am correct) a 1990s car is old to them, even if it does nothing for me.
                  Wow! That is some restriction/classification. I have owned more than 100 cars and none were older than I was at the time. The closest that I came was my 1940 President. I believe that most people consider cars older than 25 to be old cars. The cars are then considered to be antique by most, if not all, states.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have owned more than 100 cars and none were older than I was at the time. The closest that I came was my 1940 President.
                    That's interesting, Gary. Although I haven't owned over 100 cars, the only car that I owned that was older than me was a 1941 Commander!
                    -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                    1960 Metropolitan Convertible
                    1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                    1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
                      In 1973, a couple of months after I bought my 1947 Studebaker Champion, I proudly entered it in an antique auto show in Halifax, Nova Scotia. A friend and I were having lunch in a restaurant across the street when a highly respected member of the hobby came over to speak to him. This gentleman owned several nicely restored antique cars which he drove, including two pre-1910 Metz, and a Stanley Steamer. He said to my friend, "I don't think any cars newer than 1940 should be allowed in shows." Just as it happened, the car this gentleman brought to the show was his 1940 Buick four-door convertible. I felt a wee bit insulted.
                      There tends to be a bit of snobbery in certain individuals and segments of the Antique, Collector, and 'Hot Rod' automotive hobby. When I was a teen, according to the information in the Hot Rod little books of the day, a Hot Rod was limited to hopped up and modified vehicles produced before 1949. And this was enforced to the point that any vehicle produced after the 1948 model year were not permitted entry or display at these car shows (this is still the rule in some venues).
                      As many here are aware, as result of this rule there are now quite a few bullet-nose ('50-'51 dog house) "1948" Studebaker Hot Rods.

I encountered a bit of this exclusionary thinking on a certain major Hot Rod site a few years ago when I posted a thread telling the tale of the very first car I ever drove all on my lonesome at the age of 13 back in the summer of 1962.
                      Said vehicle being a sharp red & white 1948 Willys Jeepster, but not no average Jeepster, as this one was powered by a Tri-Power equipped 365 Cadillac & 4 speed Hydro. Leaving aside the rest of that story, the entire thread ended up purged from the Forum because it was a JEEP, and Jeeps are not 'traditional' and CANNOT be traditional Hot Rods!
                      ... but a 1948 Buick, a 1948 Ford, or even a 1954 Henry J are perfectly acceptable 'traditional' Hot rods, even a 1955 Chevrolet and a 1956 Corvette ARE included and pictured in their posted examples of what constitute acceptable 'traditional' Hot rods

That Caddy powered, real deal 1948 Jeepster would have sucked the headlights clean out of either of those 'late model' Chevrolet's.

So one is permitted to post a twenty page thread on the build of a 1954 Henry J or a 1956 Corvette. But not to even bring up the subject of a 1948 Jeepster, which was actually racing on the nations Drag strips back in 1950's (and there were a lot of 'em)
                      Anyone in the know should be able to identify which 'traditional' site I am referring to.
                      Last edited by Jessie J.; 02-10-2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X