No announcement yet.

Richard Quinn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome back, Mr. Q! Now, about those door locks...let's get those fixed asap!
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Been under the weather myself and just saw this. Good luck Dick. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        Really appreciate all of the comments and "best wishes" I was released from incarceration today (Jan 09) at 9:00 a.m. Arrived home to find that my keys would NOT unlock the door! Twenty degrees and locked out. 45 minutes trying various solutions (including kicking in the door!) finally lead to an unlocked bedroom window. I pulled one of my cars up to the window climbed onto the bumper then hood, stood up and was able to get a leg in the window and eventually to get the rest of my body in. This trick was witnessed by my friend Bob Schmidt who had brought me home. Bottom line is I am feeling very well and have had no significant pain from beginning to end. All doctors and support staff (an international group) performed well. Have great respect for them and the new medical technologies that makes all this happen. As one more interesting note prior to surgery my left knee had been very, very sore making walking difficult. Since the surgery the pain has almost completely gone! I'm not a doctor but guessing something to do with circulation. Best wishes to all.
        Great to have you back! Being waylaid by an unexpected health issue is never a pleasant experience. However, the relief of meeting and overcoming the challenge can be a life-changing boost to your spirit and put a new spring in your walk. For me, it came in the form of discovering that my exposure to agent orange in Vietnam had resulted in diabetes in my 50's. I don't know how long I had been suffering the effects, because it came on gradually. Not until I finally complained of some of my physical symptoms to my wife (a registered nurse) did I realize that I was facing a serious health challenge. I was in denial, me...educated...graduate school dealing with vocational rehabilitation, specializing with visually impaired (blindness)...a leading cause of blindness is diabetes, and I thought I was on top of such things.

Thankfully, my wife recognized the symptoms before I became too fragile to manage it. I still have good vision, and with medication and diet have been able to manage my malady. There has been some nerve damage, but so far, nothing I have not been able to deal with. For you, just as in my case, the challenge will be to adapt and adjust to a behavior (diet, activity, and sleep) that enhances your recovery and health going forward. And...to use an automotive metaphor...don't neglect the need for regular "tune-up checks." (Dr. visits, EKG, blood pressure, etc.)...even if everything checks out OK...the peace of mind is as much a health benefit as any physical remedy.

Sometimes, we can't know how bad we have become in our health issues until we discover the problem, and have it dealt with. In your case, it could be the relief in no longer having the pain in your leg.

Another positive indication is that you apparently had the moxie to meet the challenge of your "locked-out" situation by practicing your burglary skills! My only regret is that there is no video.

Best wishes for you going forward and we will look forward to you continuing to engage and share your thoughts, collectible treasures, and knowledge here for a long time to come.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
          Really appreciate all of the comments and "best wishes" I was released from incarceration today (Jan 09) at 9:00 a.m. Arrived home to find that my keys would NOT unlock the door! Twenty degrees and locked out. 45 minutes trying various solutions (including kicking in the door!) finally lead to an unlocked bedroom window. I pulled one of my cars up to the window climbed onto the bumper then hood, stood up and was able to get a leg in the window and eventually to get the rest of my body in. This trick was witnessed by my friend Bob Schmidt who had brought me home. Bottom line is I am feeling very well and have had no significant pain from beginning to end. All doctors and support staff (an international group) performed well. Have great respect for them and the new medical technologies that makes all this happen. As one more interesting note prior to surgery my left knee had been very, very sore making walking difficult. Since the surgery the pain has almost completely gone! I'm not a doctor but guessing something to do with circulation. Best wishes to all.
          It's so good to see how well and quickly you have been able to return. Your comments about new medical technology are very profound. A few years ago your surgery would have been a very risky operation with a very long recovery time. Even your ability to climb in through a window to get back in your house two weeks after your surgery speaks so well of the new medical technology.

There are a lot of us out here that could learn from your experience. For example, last Saturday I was working outside moving some boxes. Suddenly I became very dizzy and unable to take more than a few steps without running out of steam. After a while I felt OK and carefully made it back to the house. Since I never had chest pains I didn't call 911 or any of those things. I dug our my little blood pressure monitor- found the reading to be 149 over 119 with a heart rate of 126. I still decided to rest and see what happens. Sunday morning my blood pressure and pulse were normal, but I decided to email my regular doctor to see if he thought I should come in or not. Monday morning I got an early response telling me that I needed to come in. My doctor took over an hour with me trying to determine what happened. I got an EKG in his office and he issued me four lab orders and two referrals, one to get a chest x-ray and another to see a cardiologist. I took the lab orders in to the medical lab at a little after 7 am the next morning and had blood drawn for three different types of blood analysis. I then walked a couple hundred yards to a totally separate imaging lab, got the chest x-ray and walked out about 10 minutes later. At 9:02 am I got an email from my doctor sending me copies of the three blood workups and I imagine that my x-rays were already in his office. My doctor's clinic and the medical lab are entirely separate companies 10 miles apart. The ability to draw and analyze blood and send the results to my doctor in probably just over an hour just blows me away.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Yes, Paul. I had blood drawn daily during the two weeks. Mostly early a.m. and the results were available before noon. A woman is coming tomorrow for another draw. My blockages were found as a result of an angiogram. Hope your problem was a simple aberration. Blood pressure a big factor for sure. Mine is on the low side and when too low it really lays you out. Medication in the right amounts key to maintaining a comfortable level. Thanks for posting
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Glad to have you back Mr. Quinn. These heart related things are scary. Dad went through it several years back. Hope you do as well as he has done since they got his plumbing all cleaned out.
              Wayne
              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X