Pop Quiz: 1954 Packard Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Quiz: 1954 Packard Color

Here's a nice 2-minute Fall 2018 video of The Packard Proving Ground. Enjoyable viewing.

Check out the Packard Proving Grounds Historic Site on a beautiful sunny fall day! This lovely automotive history site was built in 1928 and is celebrating it's…

Since 1954 was the year in which The Studebaker-Packard Corporation was founded, I figure it's fair enough to post a Pop Quiz here with a Studebaker reward.

A 1954 Packard Pacific is shown at 1:39-1:44 in the video. Its color is a special, mid-year 1954 color, created and used in response to a large California dealer's complaint that the 1954 color palate was a bit drab and needing livening-up.

The first person to post the correct name of that color -spelled correctly!- will win a new, uncirculated, NOS 1964 Studebaker full-line brochure; P.D.-64-11:

Click image for larger version

Name:	64studebrochuresmall.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1759845

BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 12-09-2018, 02:22 PM. Reason: deleted comment added time off forum...
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Matador Maroon Poly ? Whatever it is, it and the blue are both gorgeous !

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
      Matador Maroon Poly ? Whatever it is, it and the blue are both gorgeous !
      Sorry, John; that's not it.

(Isn't Matador Maroon a Corvette color?)

BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I don't know Bob, but I had cheated anyway and looked at Packard paint chips, ha ! I wouldn't have taken the "prize" under those circumstances anyway. Signed: Dishonest John (remember him in cartoons ?)

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.a...h_packard_1954. These folks may have it wrong too, huh ?

Comment

Bob, is it Amethyst?
          Mike Davis
          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Amethyst and Packard Ivory

1954 Packard Pacific hardtop was a factory "special" created by Ed Cunningham the Interior Styling Manager at Packard. His mission was to convince top brass to adopt trendier colors. Five Carnation and Amethyst cars were produced and shown to dealers at the factory. California dealer and board member Earle C. Anthony purchased most, if not all, of them and shipped them to his dealerships in California. Of the five “R-code” cars three are known to exist

The car was generously donated to the Packard Motor Car Foundation It is now on display at the Packard Proving Grounds in Shelby Twp. (Utica) MI.

Comment

YOUR answer above.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                Bob, is it Amethyst?

BINGO! Amethyst it is.

Mike, is your address in Knightdale as in the 2018 SDC Roster, or Louisburg, as in your forum information? Please send me a PM with your correct mailing address and I'll get the small brochure out to you pronto.

Also read Al Kish' description in Post #6 for "the rest of the story." (Sorry, Al; you're also correct, of course, but Mike posted first.) BP

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                  I don't know Bob, but I had cheated anyway and looked at Packard paint chips, ha ! I wouldn't have taken the "prize" under those circumstances anyway. Signed: Dishonest John (remember him in cartoons ?)

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.a...h_packard_1954. These folks may have it wrong too, huh ?
                  I see what you mean, John. Apparently, that chart wasn't updated to include the mid-year combination Al Kish cites in Post #6. BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    BINGO! Amethyst it is.

Mike, is your address in Knightdale as in the 2018 SDC Roster, or Louisburg, as in your forum information? Please send me a PM with your correct mailing address and I'll get the small brochure out to you pronto.

Also read Al Kish' description, below, for "the rest of the story." (Sorry, Al; you're also correct, of course, but Mike posted first.) BP
                    Thanks, Bob! April and I just moved to Louisburg. I'll pm my new address right now.
                    Mike Davis
                    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      Good one, Craig; now I remember that discussion. BP

Comment

The color of the first NEW car that I sold (after MANY used cars) was Deep Amethyst Metallic.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I notice on the water tower that it states: "Packard Proving Grounds". This is a picture from current times. Is that what Packard called it or was it Packard Proving Ground like Studebaker Proving Ground? I question their spelling since, in large print, near the end of the video it states: "Prooving"!
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            Here's a nice 2-minute Fall 2018 video of The Packard Proving Ground. Enjoyable viewing.

Check out the Packard Proving Grounds Historic Site on a beautiful sunny fall day! This lovely automotive history site was built in 1928 and is celebrating it's…

]BP[/B]
                            Thanks for posting that video. I wasn't aware the the Packard proving grounds still exists.

It can be difficult to remember what a fine name Packard once had. Right up there with the best from Cadillac, Lincoln, Pierce Arrow, Chrysler, and approaching Rolls-Royce, Deusenberg, and Mercedes.

And then the Studebaker merger.

Yes, I know Packard was in financial distress, but Studebaker bled out the last pennies, and Packard died.

The PackardBakers of '57 and '58? Gag a maggot.

Comment

I had a 1954 Pacific that color, it was purchased new by opera singer Helen Boyce from Simonson-Schactmeyer, the Santa Monica Packard dealer.

The horn button was also amethyst, I had a NOS one, but sold it before I bought this car.

After Packard 'folded the tent,' the Proving Grounds were sold to Ford Motor Co.

And...it was not a merger, Packard purchased Studebaker in a stock swap. This was the worst mistake that James J. Nance made and he made plenty!

Studebaker "cooked the books," their supposed break even point was 150,000 units. But in reality, it was 350,000 units!
                              Last edited by WinM1895; 12-09-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X