Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phony 1963 R2 Lark

https://barnfinds.com/rare-r2-engine...ntent=morelink

I belive that there is a previous thread on this Lark.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Free speech.
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

In the very first sentence of the ad it says in capital letters that it is a clone. Seller also clearly says that he was originally a six cylinder car.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          I belive that there is a previous thread on this Lark.
          In the Sale/Want/Found cars section.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ort-Charlotte)

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            In the very first sentence of the ad it says in capital letters that it is a clone. Seller also clearly says that he was originally a six cylinder car.
            Bob, I think the issue is that it didn't say CLONE originally. It was edited appropriately and now reads as you see it.

However, although it now says CLONE, it's really not even a clone because it doesn't have any semblance or elements of a Studebaker R2 supercharger setup on it.

Weird, to say the least. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Sort of a wanna be half azzed clone.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Bob, I think the issue is that it didn't say CLONE originally. It was edited appropriately and now reads as you see it.
                BP
                Bob, I saw the listing when it first came out and it said ‘clone’ at that time. I don’t believe it has been edited.

There was a discussion about this car on Facebook I think what is happening is people read the article but don’t click the link on the listing. Or, which seems to be getting more common these days, people scanned over the listing without actually reading and missed it.

Try posting a ‘for sale’ item on craigslist or somewhere and see how many people asked questions that were clearly answered in the original text. It happens to me literally every week. This is why I keep my listings to the bare minimum. It still happens constantly.
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I just contacted the site through their contact form here
                  https://barnfinds.com/contact/

I suggest others do so as well. Make sure to include a link to the listing. The more complaints they get, the more notice it will get.

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
                    I just contacted the site through their contact form here
                    https://barnfinds.com/contact/

I suggest others do so as well. Make sure to include a link to the listing. The more complaints they get, the more notice it will get.
                    So what do I complain about? I saw it when it was within two cars of the top so it was a recent listing and I saw Clone. I've seen clone Yenko Chebby's that started as a 6 cyl.

A clone ain't real and it said so.

Not trying to start an argument just asking as I'm curious about what's wrong with the ad?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                      So what do I complain about? I saw it when it was within two cars of the top so it was a recent listing and I saw Clone. I've seen clone Yenko Chebby's that started as a 6 cyl.

A clone ain't real and it said so.

Not trying to start an argument just asking as I'm curious about what's wrong with the ad?

Bob
                      Really, Bob; I think what's wrong with the ad is that it isn't even a clone.

If it was a clone, it would have a Paxton or McCulloch supercharger on it in some manner or fashion. Even an older 1957-1958 supercharger setup would do for "clone" status, I would think. Of course, that's just my opinion.

To say this car is a clone of an R2-powered Lark is too much of a stretch for some of us. Others, maybe not so.

(I'm not trying to start an argument, either; I'm just trying to answer your legitimate question.) BP.
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The ad was edited after original posting, doesn't really matter since anyone who knows what an R2 is- wouldn't be fooled by this car

Comment

But, wait a second fellas... What is that "thing" the air cleaner is sitting on? It sure looks like one of those early style sideways superchargers. Is it possible that it is indeed supercharged? But just not in the manner in which we are accustomed? I'm not too familiar with this style of blower, but have seen them on early cars. I don't even know the drive mechanism used on these.
                          A possibility? I'm just wondering. More details needed, I think.
                          sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                            But, wait a second fellas... What is that "thing" the air cleaner is sitting on? It sure looks like one of those early style sideways superchargers. Is it possible that it is indeed supercharged? But just not in the manner in which we are accustomed? I'm not too familiar with this style of blower, but have seen them on early cars. I don't even know the drive mechanism used on these.
                            A possibility? I'm just wondering. More details needed, I think.
                            I think it's driven by an electric motor.
                            From the Craigslist ad.....https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...734300262.html
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                              I think it's driven by an electric motor.
                              From the Craigslist ad.....https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...734300262.html
                              That's the observation I made when I first saw the listing. I thought blower but it took a while to figure it out but like sals54 observed, the tire showed the blower drive to be horizontal. I won't argue either way on clone but it does appear to be a supercharged Lark.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X