Some Days it Pays to Take the Back Roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Days it Pays to Take the Back Roads

Being able to take your antique car out at the end of October is really pushing it in Minnesota. Lots of times by now our roads are white from salt. Today I took my Studebaker Land Cruiser out for possibly the last run of the year. I just went to the local grocery store, then decided to take some back streets home, rather than the main road. Just 2 blocks down I spot a brand new Craftsman 48" level laying in the road. That made a fun ride even better.
    I guess I should have been holding it so you know I'm on the level. LOL

Two years ago I found a brand new 6 foot aluminum step ladder on the side of the road.

Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1759668

Finders keepers, losers weepers. OR maybe a CL ad stating that a level was found. Ask for a detailed description. Which would you want if you lost it?
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Traveling the back roads whenever possible is something I try to do, especially in a Studebaker. It is a five mile drive to the nearest post office and the other day I put 40 miles on the Cruiser just going to and coming from the post office. I didn't find valuable surprises in the road but I did have a great time just the same.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
        Finders keepers, losers weepers. OR maybe a CL ad stating that a level was found. Ask for a detailed description. Which would you want if you lost it?
        I did place an ad, but I don't feel sorry for people that don't secure their loads. There is constantly furniture and coolers on the side of the road. In the past 6 months I know of 3 people in the Twin Cities who were killed by unsecured things falling out.

Comment

Would you trust a level that might have taken a whack on it's discharge from a traveling vehicle?
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
            Would you trust a level that might have taken a whack on it's discharge from a traveling vehicle?
            I will definitely have to check it out first, if it isn't claimed.
            What surprised me was that it's marked "Accurate to .0005". Now, that is accurate.

Comment

One of my greater remaining pleasures is cruising the backroads of the Hamptons, her on long Island. The summer traffic is gone and views of the bays are never far away. Everything east of Amagansett is clear sailing until I hit the lighthouse, figuratively speaking, of course...
              peter lee

Comment

The last thing I found in the road was a big handful of various screws. Some numb skull pulling out of a building site had lost them, probably off a trailer of scrap.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  The last thing I found in the road was a big handful of various screws. Some numb skull pulling out of a building site had lost them, probably off a trailer of scrap.
                  Yes, earlier this summer I drove 70 miles to help a guy get his 1950 Land Cruiser started after being parked since the early 80's. On the way home I also got a home construction screw in the radial tire on my modern car. Radials are instantly destroyed before you can even pull to the shoulder of the road.

Comment

One time on the freeway I saw someone had lost some kitchen cabinets & they were laying at the side of the road, but just barely still over the white line into the roadway. I pulled over & backed up so I could scoop them up. Just as I was walking up to them, a semi truck hit them (don't know if he was asleep at the wheel or intentionally did it). Wood flew everywhere as they exploded from the impact, with me only a few feet away from them....it was a miracle I wasn't injured.
                    Mike Sal

Comment

Back in the 70's I was working for a savings and loan co. moving large items from office to office and to and from their warehouse, one trip I had a load of about 10 cartons of foam cups as I was going down the freeway one of the cartons came lose and was hit by a truck, I didn't bother stopping to clean them up it looked like it was snowing in California. By the way I was in my 60 Champ pick up.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

When I was in 7th grade I was riding my bike through Ontario Center, NY and saw a parakeet in the road. I stopped to get it, but decided to wait for a semi to drive by. He purposely swerved to run over the bird.

Comment

Let's talk road safety and secure loads. As long as idiots like this are allowed to drive, innocent people will continue to be injured or killed.

Name:	00B0B_54wE1xvSu54_600x450.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1724191

Comment

Originally posted by willys54 View Post
                            Let's talk road safety and secure loads. As long as idiots like this are allowed to drive, innocent people will continue to be injured or killed.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]76647[/ATTACH]
                            What are you talking about? Obviously the guy is over there just about to install overload springs. I'm sure it'll be fine.
                            sals54

Comment

Occasionally I see stuff I would like to stop and pick up but its almost never safe to do it. Back in Sept. on the way to work, I found this laying in the freeway entrance ramp and stopped to run back and get it. Could have taken someone's tire out if they drove over it. I had to wave about 5 cars around it before dashing out to grab it. Fortunately, it was near the top of the ramp so nobody was going very fast.

Name:	5r8ycE4.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1724192

I posted this picture on another forum that farmers, truckers, and construction folks use and the more popular theories were either for pulling up manhole covers or used to work the hitch latch on a 5th wheel trailer.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
                              X