Under-dash rattle - any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under-dash rattle - any suggestions?

I think I may have found the source of the under-dash rattle which has been driving me crazy. It appears to be coming from the heater blower and removing it doesn't appear to be an owner-friendly task. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, how was it resolved?
    peter lee

Not sure of exactly what car you are talking about, but I'm thinking you have some kind of Hawk,(year?). If yours is like the ones I have had, there are two heater motors. One for the main under-seat heater and one for the defroster. Which one do you think is the problem? What do you think is going on? Is the rattle only evident when the heater is operating, or just from the bumps encountered from the road in normal driving? Blower fan loose on the shaft? It could be worn bearing/bushing or the mounting vibration dampeners where it bolts to the brackets that hold it in place, or possibly some trash buildup that has caused an imbalance during operation.

My memory is that it is not too big of a challenge to get to these blowers, but I have not had a Hawk in years and I was nowhere near as old as I am now. Check all the mounting bracket fasteners first, and go from there. Hopefully, you have your manuals so that you can get a good picture of the assembly before approaching with tools.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If you are talking about your Sky Hawk, make sure the anti-rattle devices are on the hood hinge cross bar. I think they are 3/8" X 2" rubber tube.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
        If you are talking about your Sky Hawk, make sure the anti-rattle devices are on the hood hinge cross bar. I think they are 3/8" X 2" rubber tube.
        Thanks! Just what I would post. They are usually the cause of what people describe as under dash rattles on C/K cars. It is not only important that the two of them are there, but also that they are in the correct locations. (I think that they originally were more than 2" long.)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Trap the Midget with the hammer
          Seriously tho I would crawl under there with some duct tape and anything that appears loose just put a piece on it. see if that helps.
          First, tho do the ant-rattle device thing on the hood hinge cross bar. A little heater hose should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
            I think I may have found the source of the under-dash rattle which has been driving me crazy. It appears to be coming from the heater blower and removing it doesn't appear to be an owner-friendly task. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, how was it resolved?
            In the case of a '61 & newer Lark, if one has the RH air vent in the open position while driving at highway speeds, the fan will 'freewheel' as the squirrel-cage is directly in the path of the intake. One will hear it rotating with a resultant squeak or two as its not turning at full rpm's without the fan motor being 'on'.

Craig

Comment

Bad under-the-dash windshield wiper grommets can cause a real annoying rattle that only occurs under certain conditions...

Comment

Perhaps the original poster could tell us what year and model he has.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                  Perhaps the original poster could tell us what year and model he has.
                  I assume that he is referring to his Sky Hawk, but that is only an assumption and vehicle information should be in the initial post.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

As brilliant as you all are, none of you correctly identified the source of arguably the worst old-car rattle ever. Although I haven't road tested it yet, I believe I've finally found the source: The bracket near the steering wheel which supports the dash was missing.Oddly enough, I remember seeing a bolt on the car floor quite a while ago, and I kept it just for this purpose. I'll post an update as soon as I get it on the road, and if there's just one little sound, you're all forbidden to post an opinion, ever!
                    peter lee

Comment

As brilliant as you all are, none of you correctly identified the source of arguably the worst old-car rattle ever. Although I haven't road tested it yet, I believe I've finally found the source: The bracket near the steering wheel which supports the dash was missing.Oddly enough, I remember seeing a bolt on the car floor quite a while ago, and I kept it just for this purpose. I'll post an update as soon as I get it on the road, and if there's just one little sound, you're all forbidden to post an opinion, ever!
                      You didn’t share much information towards a diagnoses, not even the model of car you own. “It appears to be coming from the heater blower” is a long ways from “I found a bolt on the floor a while ago and a brace is missing”.

Old cars aren’t for everyone.

Comment

Yep, give it up while you can.

Comment

Check the wiper linkage. As the pivots get sloppy the driver arms begin to rattle.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                            You didn’t share much information towards a diagnoses, not even the model of car you own. “It appears to be coming from the heater blower” is a long ways from “I found a bolt on the floor a while ago and a brace is missing”.

Old cars aren’t for everyone.
                            Hey Stude Dude...I don't know if you had time to read through the entire thread, (or just responding to the title) but well-intended fellow forum members offered sincere suggestions and were rewarded with derision and dismissal...so at this point, why bother?
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              Hey Stude Dude...I don't know if you had time to read through the entire thread, (or just responding to the title) but well-intended fellow forum members offered sincere suggestions and were rewarded with derision and dismissal...so at this point, why bother?
                              Perhaps that 'bolt' he found on the floor was in fact a PENCIL he left on top of the dash that rolled down the defroster vent causing that rattle all those years until it fell out the heater vent onto the floor, and doesn't want to admit it!!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X