59 Model X & Factory Films From 1962

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

I can see I'm not going to get any work done today. These videos are incredible! There's Mr. Churchill himself walking and talking....
    ... and holding one of his trademark Marlboro cigarettes!

I know smoking is politically incorrect today (and I know how hard it is to quit -- done it many times ), but it strikes me that very few pictures of Mr. Churchill exist that don't show him with a cigarette in his hand. I know in Studebaker, Less Than They Promised, there's a picture of him at his desk with a pack of Marlboros in front of him and a nearly-consumed cigarette in his hand.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

I can see I'm not going to get any work done today. These videos are incredible! There's Mr. Churchill himself walking and talking....

I know smoking is politically incorrect today (and I know how hard it is to quit -- done it many times ), but it strikes me that very few pictures of Mr. Churchill exist that don't show him with a cigarette in his hand. I know in Studebaker, Less Than They Promised, there's a picture of him at his desk with a pack of Marlboros in front of him and a nearly-consumed cigarette in his hand.

Comment

In the one I saw Mr. Churchill says he's excited, but he looks and acts like he just introduced a plain baloney sandwich - and a half eaten one at that.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

In the one I saw Mr. Churchill says he's excited, but he looks and acts like he just introduced a plain baloney sandwich - and a half eaten one at that.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Aww, now Scott, that's just an old Hoosier farmer for ya. That WAS his excited expression! [)] (Lord, I apologize, and be with the starving pygmies in New Guinea. Amen.)

Seriously, though, as I understand it, Mr. Churchill had a farm near Bremen, which is maybe half an hour south of South Bend as the crow flies. Back in those days, it wasn't unusual for auto executives to have farms as a sort of hobby. James J. Nance and George Christopher of Packard each had farms as well, and we all know Henry Ford was a farmer to some extent also.

You have to remember, too, the tenor of those times. In the last 30 years, we've seen a number of auto executives like Iacocca and Bob Lutz, who were and are (in Lutz's case) pretty darn good on the screen. Back in the '50s, auto execs didn't go on camera much. They didn't do the ads, and pretty much spoke only to dealer groups and the board of directors. Not really exciting stuff.

Comment

Aww, now Scott, that's just an old Hoosier farmer for ya. That WAS his excited expression! [)] (Lord, I apologize, and be with the starving pygmies in New Guinea. Amen.)

Seriously, though, as I understand it, Mr. Churchill had a farm near Bremen, which is maybe half an hour south of South Bend as the crow flies. Back in those days, it wasn't unusual for auto executives to have farms as a sort of hobby. James J. Nance and George Christopher of Packard each had farms as well, and we all know Henry Ford was a farmer to some extent also.

You have to remember, too, the tenor of those times. In the last 30 years, we've seen a number of auto executives like Iacocca and Bob Lutz, who were and are (in Lutz's case) pretty darn good on the screen. Back in the '50s, auto execs didn't go on camera much. They didn't do the ads, and pretty much spoke only to dealer groups and the board of directors. Not really exciting stuff.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnewkirk77

I guess those videos would now get a 'PG' rating from the MPAA because of that!![:0]

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnewkirk77

I guess those videos would now get a 'PG' rating from the MPAA because of that!![:0]

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig
                    That's funny, but it's probably true.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig
                      That's funny, but it's probably true.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

He was a nice man, good business man and had a strong interest in saving Studebaker. He may have been excited, but you wouldn't know it by looking at him.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

He was a nice man, good business man and had a strong interest in saving Studebaker. He may have been excited, but you wouldn't know it by looking at him.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                          X