No announcement yet.

Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Payne Motors 3058 West 111th Street Chicago Illinois for lack of space uptown Mount Greenwood used our farm at 3837 West 111th Street as a new Studebaker storage lot. Here are some pictures I don't think have been posted untClick image for larger version

Name:	Pictures from Glen 009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1703846Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures from Glen 007.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1703847Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures from Glen 008.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1703848Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures from Glen 011.jpg
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1703849Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures from Glen 010.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1703850il now

It was fun for me as a 10 year old to watch new Studebaker cars being unloaded from ARCO auto carriers transports in our yard at the farm. I must confess. Some of these "new" Studebakers left the farm as slightly used cars. My brother and I knew where the keys were.

My Dad and Al grew up together and Dad (A Studebaker Man) sold trucks for Al PayneClick image for larger version

Name:	Pictures from Glen 171.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1703851
    Last edited by KEN IN TEXAS; 02-13-2016, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by KEN IN TEXAS View Post
      Al Payne Motors 3058 West 111th Street Chicago Illinois for lack of space uptown Mount Greenwood used our farm at 3837 West 111th Street as a new Studebaker storage lot. Here are some pictures I don't think have been posted unt[ATTACH=CONFIG]51456[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51457[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51458[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51459[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51460[/ATTACH]il now

It was fun for me as a 10 year old to watch new Studebaker cars being unloaded from ARCO auto carriers transports in our yard at the farm. I must confess. Some of these "new" Studebakers left the farm as slightly used cars. My brother and I knew where the keys were.

My Dad and Al grew up together and Dad (A Studebaker Man) sold trucks for Al Payne[ATTACH=CONFIG]51461[/ATTACH]
      Wonderful photos, Ken; thanks so much for posting them.

The last photo with the loaded truck; are you one of the youngsters in the bed with the cargo? Are those bundles of old newspapers or ???? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Yes sir That is me on the tail end and younger brother Marshall on a load of scrap paper headed to be recycled. It was part of a fund raising project to ship used clothing to a mission church in JapanClick image for larger version

Name:	Pictures from Glen 170.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1703863 Here is another picture of a load of scrap paper on our 37 Ford stakebed truck

Comment

• Originally posted by KEN IN TEXAS View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]51457[/ATTACH]
          Interesting in the row of 1950 Commanders, three have painted headlight doors and two have chrome. Not a running year change, but a trim level?
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

• KEN IN TEXAS: Thanks for posting those awesome photos!! I'm glad you guys did a few "test drives" too, fun!

Comment

• Has anyone ever heard of Plumas Motor Sales in Quincy, CA. (in business around 1947)
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                Veale Volkswagon Motors - - Santa Rosa , California . 1964 used car lot image .
                But Hey ! , There a Studebaker dealer across the street . !
                Which dealer is it . ? . I dont know . . . . hmmm

Could this be the one ? I can't make out the name on the building. You can tell by the studebaker sign it is the same building , but maybe a different name in 64.Click image for larger version

Name:	Santa Rosa Studebaker dealer.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1704190

Comment

• Looks like it is Studebaker, Volvo, Mercedes, and maybe it was called Torvick at a Later time, (1964) as there is a Torvick Used Car Lot full of Studes. next to it.

And it does look like the same Dealer in Santa Rosa, but maybe a different Time.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• Yup, Torvick Motors

64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                      I can't seem to find any reference anywhere that Torvick was a stude dealer. I know my 64 wagonaire was delivered to Santa Rosa and was trying to find the name of the dealer that would have sold the car. I wanted to see if I could locate a pair of license plate frames ! I guess the cars in the picture next to the fence are from the VW dealer, but the 4th car in the pic is a wagonaire that is a dark color just like mine.

Comment

• I don't think so, that wagon has a sloped forward Rear "D" Pillar that is thin, not wide like a Wagonaire and not a Stude. Roof Rack, it looks smaller and lower also.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Brad,
                          Thanks for the plug and yes, most of the online sources for information have been pretty well exhausted. My research limit was reached when the Newspaper sources wanted a subscription fee. We already have an Ancestry.com account which has a wealth of info and is still being used. It's always been a mainstay of the project to rely on information offered by others like Bob Kapteyn and and the contributions are noted in the listings. Last year, Richard Quinn forwarded 30 pages of single spaced dealer names, which are being worked on. The Museum probably has information, but it would be for sale.......weh..wah..tilt!. Sooner or later, the info will be found, but on a slower time frame. Remember this adage? ..... "the Oxen are slow, but the Earth is patient".
                          Newspaper searches produce lots of great information. Most can be joined on a monthly basis for a small fee. I have been researching Sheppard's Studebaker Sales in Cincinnati and have been able to come up with more than 125 articles and advertising pieces. Unbelievable stuff I have found for my effort.
                          Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                          Fort Worth, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by rbigcal View Post
                            I can't seem to find any reference anywhere that Torvick was a stude dealer.
                            Your didn't look close enough...

64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I did run across that, but then later couldn't find it and I guess I sort of forgot it. Wonder why it just said Lark. Now if I could find a pair of those

Comment

• P&B Motors (Park and Bill, age 16), of Madison, South Dakota - 1946. Latter to become Newcomb Motors of Madison, South Dakota. Col. Parker William Newcomb came back from WWII 100% disabled after fighting in Siapan, Guam and Philippines. Parker started the dealership in 1946 with his son Bill, who was 16 at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X