The best heat insulation ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best heat insulation ever!

I'm not much on promoting stuff, and I have no interest other than being really satisfied.

Avanti's are hot. Everyone says there isn't much you can do. An aquaintence in one of the Volvo groups has been selling a product called Heat Blok, which is a 1/4" carbon fiber mat, to Volvo 1800 owners.. that's another very hot car, but not like an Avanti. I just got back from my first test drive after putting this stuff in, and it is really astounding how much difference it makes. I now want to make panels to put under the dash, liike modern cars, to stop that source.

It's not cheap, $100 a yard (80" wide) but 2 1/4 yards left me with lots of extra that I can use on my under dash panels.

Tim can be contacted at timcox102@hotmail.com
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Sounds Great, what areas were you able to cover with the 2 1/4 Yards?
    I am SURE Number ONE was that super HOT Trans. Tunnel on an Avanti.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Does it have adhesive back for installation, or how do you install it? Can it be used in combination with dynamat? Does it have to go against the body panel or can it go over dynamat?
      Wayne
      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

WHY, would you need Dynamat insulation if this is better? The Carpet would be a terrible Fit.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Fiero & Avanti heat insulation

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
          I'm not much on promoting stuff, and I have no interest other than being really satisfied.

Avanti's are hot. Everyone says there isn't much you can do. An aquaintence in one of the Volvo groups has been selling a product called Heat Blok, which is a 1/4" carbon fiber mat, to Volvo 1800 owners.. that's another very hot car, but not like an Avanti. I just got back from my first test drive after putting this stuff in, and it is really astounding how much difference it makes. I now want to make panels to put under the dash, liike modern cars, to stop that source.

It's not cheap, $100 a yard (80" wide) but 2 1/4 yards left me with lots of extra that I can use on my under dash panels.

Tim can be contacted at timcox102@hotmail.com
          I have Avanti 1089 and an 1988 Fiero Formula that is my daily driver, with the local temps off the normal chart I am very interested in BOTH applications. Fiero rear trunks are well known for melting down any and all contents....the more valued the item the faster the disaster! Regards Sherm from Green Bay

Comment

This stuff is light weight, lighter than jute, and much lighter than dynamat, which I think is more acoustic than thermal. It is all over the tunnel, on the floors above the exhaust, and does not impact carpet fit... it as thin or thinner than jute. I put some inside the shifter boot, lined the trim above the shifter, and stuck scraps in the accelerator boot.
            Like I said, I am only promoting it because I am so pleased, not because I have any other affiliation with it. Do what you want.
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Correct, Dynamat is to deaden the panel acoustically. It helps a little with thermal but not much. If this stuff is that good thermally, then I would want both if this stuff can go over the dynamat and still do its job.. I put dynamat in may Hawk. It helped a lot with noise, but I still get a lot of heat coming into the cabin through the dynamat / jute combination. I am considering pulling the carpet out and putting this stuff over the dynamat to try and cut down on the heat.

So how does it mount? Is it adhesive backed or did you glue it down with spray adhesive?
              Wayne
              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

You use spray adhesive. If I had been smart, I would have used the carpet for a template and had less waste. The stuff feels like thick felt.
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Could you pull the jute off then and just have the dynamite and this thick felt stuff? Sounds like it would be the same effect.

Mark

Comment

That's basically what I've done, except I did not use any dynamat. I like the sound of an R2 and loud exhaust
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Sounds Great, what areas were you able to cover with the 2 1/4 Yards?
                      I am SURE Number ONE was that super HOT Trans. Tunnel on an Avanti.
                      I really focused on the tunnel first, under the ventilation controls, the shifter ( even putting scraps in the shifter boot) and lined the console box with the stuff too. That replaces the original felt and looks like it should wear reasonably well. It's under the ashtray as well. Basically, anywhere on the tunnel I could put it, I did. From there, I followed the carpet, especially at the firewall and above the exhaust. Another scrap got stuffed in the accelerator boot

After this, I found out how much heat was coming from under the dash, so today I mocked up some cardboard under dash panels, and was quite pleased with that. I will go to a sign shop tomorrow, get some corrogated plastic, and put the stuff there as well. I think I will have as cool a non-air conditioned Avanti as ever was.
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Thanks Ron, this stuff sounds GREAT!

(Note: Capitalization added for emphasis, if Capt'n Spellcheck and the Internet Osiffer don't like it, it's MY post and MY preference!)
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Thanks Ron, this stuff sounds GREAT!

(Note: Capitalization added for emphasis,
                          Shucks, I knew that!

if Capt'n Spellcheck and the Internet Osiffer don't like it, it's MY post and MY preference!)
                          sigpic
                          Dave Lester

Comment

I don't often promote products, but I am really pleased!
                            Ron Dame
                            '63 Champ

Comment

Today I bought some black foam core board and glued the mat to it. Not only will it reduce heat on my feet, but tidied up under the dashClick image for larger version

Name:	20180718_173315.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1721428Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_173149.jpg
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	1721429Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_173232.jpg
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1721430