Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Jim and 52-fan
    I appreciate your advice
    Years ago I was in the forum and if I even mentioned changing from "Stock" I got my head chewed off
    Hence the many years of absence

Comment

Given that the engine and trans are already gone, you can do whatever you want with no regrets. And the Champion engine is no ball of fire anyway. The easiest upgrade would be to drop a Stude v8 in it. The purchase of 55-64 Stude V8 parts truck would allow you to do the upgrade without having to engineer or fabricate anything. The next most popular transplant (of course) would be a Chevy small block. While some conversion parts have been designed, you would have to fabricate a bunch of small stuff to make it operable. Depends on your skills and desires.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

has anyone put a 2R5 on a S10 frame

Comment

It has been done, but I don't know who did it. I've heard of Dakota frames being used as well. And at least one Full size mid 80s chevy.
          It's your truck, since the engine is already gone, I would do a V8 conversion at the least. Considering that for my 2R5, as the 6 is getting weak, and it wouldn't pull itself out of a wet paper bag 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPTJ View Post
            has anyone put a 2R5 on a S10 frame
            Google Studebaker frame swap and you will find several. The 2R swap I liked best was a series on using a Dakota frame and running gear. The S10 will work, but is a bit narrow.
            The fastest route to enjoying your tuck, if you don't have money to pay a professional or a well equipped shop, is to stay closer to stock with upgrades as you go. My brother has done that with his Transtar and continues to drive it as it evolves. The truck now has a 289 with a T5 5 speed transmission, power steering, disc brakes, air conditioning and the like, but he started driving it with a mostly stock drivetrain.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

the reason I asked is I already have a S10 rolling chassis with a 350 and
              it was previously shortened and will have to be lengthened to 112 WB
              I can do it my self
              I agree it is a bit narrow but I think wheel spacers and deep dish wheels will take care of that
              I think that is my best route to getting this truck on the road again

Comment

save the old running gear, some of us might just want it.

Comment

I have decided to put another more modern chassis under the 2R5
                  Therefore anyone in the SDC who wants the complete rolling chase may have it
                  Free
                  you pick it up of course

I an not sure of the protocol for contacting me
                  should I post my phone # ?

Comment

Originally posted by CAPTJ View Post
                    I have decided to put another more modern chassis under the 2R5
                    Therefore anyone in the SDC who wants the complete rolling chase may have it
                    Free
                    you pick it up of course

I an not sure of the protocol for contacting me
                    should I post my phone # ?
                    Regardless of which three routes Google shows to where you live...Town to Town, you are over three hundred miles from me. So to pick up your chassis & parts, it would be quite a haul for me. Of course, I really don't need another pile to decorate my weed garden.

Rather than post your personal information, folks can reach you by using the "private message" feature on the forum. I recommend using that. Good luck with your project.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                    X