Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A neat 3/4 ton Transtar truck at work in West Virginia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A neat 3/4 ton Transtar truck at work in West Virginia!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker Transtar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1758082

<https://56packardman.com/2018/06/19/gear-head-tuesday-studebaker-trucks/>

Last edited by Packard5687; 06-19-2018, 09:14 PM.

That looks like a '56 Transtar with '63 3/4 Ton Hub Caps and Wheels!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I don't believe these are original wheels, I think about this time Studebaker may have gone away from 2 piece wheels and tubes, these are tubeless tires. As for the hub caps, I think the 3/4 tons in 56 came with hubless truck wheels.

Comment

That is because the Hub Caps and possibly the Wheels, came from a '62-'64 3/4 Ton Stude.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So We're guessing it's not just 63 parts ?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          That is because the Hub Caps and possibly the Wheels, came from a '62-'64 3/4 Ton Stude.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Think those might be the 3/4 ton wheels Studebaker went to when they stopped using the split rims before the Champ arrived...but others will correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

The seller (a SDC member) did a good job restoring the truck, and did many up grades, including the seats, and likely the wheels. "Working" trucks get wheel changes all the time, in this trucks case it gives it a bit of a heavier duty look.
              The original came with the truck.

Comment

I'll pipe in here. This was my truck, and it does indeed have Champ wheels that I bought from Joe Zeiger. A couple of the originals were bent and these were better. The caps are NOS from Dennis Dupont. I couldn't bring myself to paint them. The truck is a late '56 and always had 8 lug wheels. The trim rings are 40's Ford. Cheers to Joe and Micheal as I see they posted.
                sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
                1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                1963 8E28 GSA order
                1963 8E5 SOLD!
                1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Hi Bob, nice to here from You. this is the Truck that Your Students piled into/onto for a Photo Yes ?
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Wow! I'd forgotten about that!

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                    Hi Bob, nice to here from You. this is the Truck that Your Students piled into/onto for a Photo Yes ?
                    Joe,
                    Indeed it is. They were one of my honors classes. I'll see if I can find it. Mike might like it too. I also have a pic of some students with a Hawk front clip I painted red for "Greased Lightning" when they performed Grease on stage.
                    Best, Bob
                    1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                    1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                    1963 8E28 GSA order
                    1963 8E5 SOLD!

Comment

I don't care what year the wheels/caps or rings (even if they are ferd parts); that is one great looking truck.

Lynn

Comment

Wow! I'd forgotten about that!

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                        Joe,
                        Indeed it is. They were one of my honors classes. I'll see if I can find it. Mike might like it too. I also have a pic of some students with a Hawk front clip I painted red for "Greased Lightning" when they performed Grease on stage.
                        Best, Bob
                        1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                        1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                        1963 8E28 GSA order
                        1963 8E5 SOLD!

Comment

Bob, As you know the truck is in Ravenswood, WV at the old Kaiser Aluminum Plant, there is a great deal of natural gas pipeline work being done at the plant, freight car unloading, pipe storage, welding etc. There are lots of Texas, and Oklahoma people there working, all pick up people.....the Transtar is a very popular with them when we send it to the Millwood (next town over) Post Office 2 or 3 times a week for a mail run. There are a few old Dodge trucks some of the guys have....the Transtar has kind of taken the air out of their sails...so to speak....since you sent it down from Vermont we re-did the bed with a "newer " bed liner spray and mounted the spare on the left inside of the bed, as you can see in the photo, otherwise just a few odds and ends, I think it's benefiting from the 2 or 3 times a week runs, especially in the warm weather. Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X